Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back up / Copy software

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JJJ_Jhony

JJJ_Jhony

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:13 PM

Hello,
Anyone know of a back up software that simply copies certain folders from 1 location to another without zipping, encrypting or doing anything else to the folder or the data. Keeping it in its original format.
Similar to Cobian back up. Which was a great app, but I see it has not been update in a long time.

Thank you for the help

Edit: Topic moved from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:27 PM

Read HERE ....I posted this today....I have not read it in detail myself...but it looked promising.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 JJJ_Jhony

JJJ_Jhony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:46 PM

Hi, Thanks for this

It does look good and may try if i dont find one that will not alter the coppied items.

it says " A backup is created as an AFI file and can be saved to a local drive, network folder, or external drive."

Hoping something out there just does not alter the data in anyway. That way it can be placed in the cloud and opened anywhere.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:56 AM

Seems that simply copying folders without using backup software or compression...would do what you want.  I'm not understanding just what it is that you want, which isn't unusual for me :).

Louis

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:24 AM

Looks to me like your best option is to set up an alarm on your phone saying "plug in an external HDD or USB and manually copy onto it any files you've edited since this time last week" and have it set to go off weekly, on the evening of the day you are most likely not to have anythng else need doing that evening. Right click the files to be backed up and select "send to..." that ... will usually be named something like "removable disc F:\". You could alos make yourslef a weekly pop-up reminder in windows task scheduler.

Edited by rp88, 10 April 2015 - 11:24 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 JJJ_Jhony

JJJ_Jhony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:45 PM

Hi Louis,

Excuse the delay, work got bussy.

I have folders on a wd sentinal running 2008 storage server. 

its backed up to the cloud, but the cloud vendor does not have the full features of dropbox.

I am hoping to find an app that would go and copy 2 folders, leave the comtents in its original formats and place in a dropbox folder.  i need access to these when I am out of the office. That way i can just open an excell file on my cell.

This dulication should happen automatically at 4 AM or so.

Cobian back up i am sure will still do this, but was hoping for an alternative since the Cobian programmer stoped developing it a few years ago.

rp88, Thanks for this, but manually doing this is not a option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users