Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games On Dvd:s And Cd:s

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: DVD player (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you have a DVD player in your ocmputer?

1. Yes (12 votes [92.31%])

Percentage of vote: 92.31%

2. No (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 05:18 PM

In the store today I noticed that most games are still sold on CD:s and I began to wonder how common having a DVD player in the computer is amongst gamers nowadays. I got a DVD player years ago but still have to deal with multi-CD games.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 01 July 2006 - 05:19 PM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:40 PM

My laptop has a DVD player (read only), but my parent's computer does not. Putting games on DVDs definitely saves space; I have noticed this the most on the Playstation 2. Final Fantasy IX took up four CD roms on the Playstation; Final Fantasy X, for the Playstation 2, was just as long, but only took up one DVD-rom. And when I bought Escape from Monkey Island for the Playstation 2 (I have a crappy video card :thumbsup: ), it only used one DVD-rom (and, it should be noted, looked better!); the PC version used two cd-roms.

Maybe the game companies assume that most gamers don't have DVD players on their compy. They want as many people to buy their game as possible, so they put them on CDs so more gamers will buy them.

BTW-it is possible to have muti-disc games on DVD-rom...I have two for PS2 (Shadow Hearts Covenant, and Xenosaga Episode II).

#3 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 11:25 PM

wha? PS2 has some games that take up more than one disk? lol, people said that we don't need more space just because Oblivion fits on one DVD so they could bash Sony and blu-ray.

*edit* DVD-rom for me by the way.

Edited by Wizdabest, 01 July 2006 - 11:26 PM.

#4 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 12:54 AM

I definately prefer DVDs over CDs... I have all my old games on CD in a couple CD wallets, and all my new games, the DVDs, take up almost no space at all.

Posted Image

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:37 PM

I like games on DVD, they hold more data so there are fewer of them to keep track of. I think it may be more economical for game makers to use them, it seems less expensive to make one dual-layer DVD than almost a half dozen CDs.

3939.png

#6 Konan

Konan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 03:15 AM

Of course! Any normal computer user has a DVD on own system :thumbsup:

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow