Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung Laptop Not Booting From Battery

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Rumpkisser11

Rumpkisser11

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:47 PM

I have a Samsung laptop Model: NP550P7C.

Just a few weeks ago I began to have issues with my power supply or charger on my laptop, it suddenly stopped working without warning and wouldn't charge my laptop's battery anymore. at that time I had 2 chargers, one for my desk, and one for my bag, so I had no issue and continued to use my second charger as I normally did. unfortunately a couple days later I could no longer boot my laptop off of my battery, I also was getting strange percentages when the computer was plugged in and charging, sometimes it would drop from 80% to 70% then jump to 90 and stay there. please note as it said it was charged at 90% I still couldn't run my computer off straight battery power.

I continued to use my laptop without the battery plugged in And it worked normally for about a week, until I (stupidly) decided to try my battery again to see if it'd work (and it did... most of the time) I then continued to use my laptop with the battery until last week my second power supply failed and likewise completely with my battery. I then figured it was a failure of the battery as my laptop is 3 years old. and ordered a new battery and charger. I got the new charger and battery just 2 days ago and it has worked fine until today.

I was running a game on my battery, and out of the blue it shut off and I could no longer boot my computer off of battery power. Luckily I can still use my laptop off of AC power, and when plugged in the battery still says it's fully charged and functioning properly, but when I try to boot straight from battery absolutely nothing happens. not a flash of power (Like its shorted out) or a tick or any other sign any power is being sent anywhere.

I know as a fact it's not my new battery causing this issue because I now have had 2, and both don't work, the second battery has a light on it and it states its fully charged. and the only other option is something related to my motherboard. So basically i'm asking if i should continue to use my laptop, but only off of AC power with no battery installed (as I think something related to the charging circuit is causing the power supply failure) or if I should stop using my laptop all together and pull out salvageable components before something major fails on my motherboard and kills said components. or a complete motherboard replacement. my computer is only 3 years old and worth $1500 when I first purchased it, so its a fairly high spec one.

Please note I am very comfortable with computers and I have a fairly extensive background. I just would like a second opinion on what should be done.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users