Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox will no longer play online mp3 file

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 B33p3r

B33p3r

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:30 PM

Hey All,  I maintain a Township website and every month I upload a mp3 audio file of the monthly meeting. Rarely have I had issues with these files but this month when I try to listen to the file on the website using firefox  it keeps telling me "video can't be played because the file is corrupt".  However if I use ie to navigate to website and play the file it plays just fine.

Any ideas why firefox will not play the file all of a sudden? If I attempt to play a file from 3-4 months ago using firefox it will play just fine. I use a free version of wave pad sound editor to create the mp3 files and have recreated the file multiple times. The file will play just fine on my computer. It only tells me it is corrupted when I try to access it online with firefox. Would appreciate any and all help.

Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,419 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:53 PM

Try the following. Open FIrefox, select Tools > Options and under the Applications tab scroll down to MP3. In the dropdown box select the MP3 player you wish to use. It will probably list Windows Media Player as default. Select it if you do not use any other app to play your MP3's.

I am not sure why older MP3's will play in Firefox while newer ones do not. You can try running FIrefox with Add-ons disabled under Help > Restart with add-ons disabled and see if it you can play MP3's.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 April 2015 - 04:55 PM.

#3 B33p3r

B33p3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:41 AM

Quicktime 7.7.6. is the chosen MP3 player in firefox. "Video can't be played because the file is corrupt". Switched to Windows media player and same error message. Use IE or google chrome and the MP3 file plays without issue. Firefox (quicktime 7.7.6.) will play files I enbedded in the website  2-3 months ago but not the recently enbedded files. IE and google chrome plays them all.

Tried what I believe was all combinations of plug ins to eliminate the possibility of a plug in causing the issue but nothing worked. Standard disclaimer: I can't say I tried every combination of plug ins!

Edited by B33p3r, 12 April 2015 - 09:43 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,419 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:30 AM

Did you by chance see this Firefox support page regarding the issue. There are some good tips there.

#5 B33p3r

B33p3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:00 AM

JohnC_21....Thank You. I saw a similiar post but it was missing the following: (4) Double-click media.directshow.enabled to switch its value from true to false. After doing this Firefox was once again able to listen to embedded MP3 files.  Fixed!

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me.    B33p3r

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users