Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[CPU] Thinking about overclocking my i5-3570k

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:25 PM

Alright so,

My custom built desktop computer is almost 3 years old now, and believe it or not, I can feel the "Moore's law" coming in effect on my CPU. While it still performs extremely well, sometimes when I play games (like Guild Wars 2, Battlefield 4) and I have other programs such as Google Chrome or Netbeans open, my CPU will stack at 100% and I really don't feel safe with it running like that. So I thought that maybe overclocking it a bit would help it stay in the 85-90% CPU usage range so I can feel safer. I've never done overclocking and barely know anything about it. I plan on looking for guides and tutorials on how to proceed by myself (if there's one thing I can do, it's research), but I would like if members that have experience with overclocking can give me tips and tricks or even advice. The kind of things you know from experience and that aren't always in the guides and tutorials. Also, if you have guides and tutorials on overclocking, feel free to post them and I'll take a look at all of them. I'll start my search on Overclock.net and go from there.

I guess you guys need to know what hardware I have, so I'll post you a PCPartPicker build of my desktop when I get home in a few hours.

Thank you in advance to everyone who posts in this thread to assist me :)

Edit: Corrected Overclocking.net to Overclock.net

Edited by Aura., 09 April 2015 - 07:38 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:36 PM

Where I would go, if I ever wanted to overclock:  http://ww1.overclocking.com/ .

Louis

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:37 PM

I think it's Overclock.net Louis like I mentionned in the OP :P Overclocking.com is for sale.

Edited by Aura., 09 April 2015 - 07:38 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:42 PM

Pardon, automatic response...did not even bother to look at the webpage which clearly states what you say.

Louis

#5 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:00 AM

I've never attempted overclocking myself - never had an unlocked processor in my computer. However, you posted your computer's temps elsewhere, and I think that temperature could become an issue if you overclock. Are you going to install a liquid cooling system?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:09 AM

Not going to install a liquid cooling system, no. And personally I thought that my temperatures were fine :o Maybe I'll need to add new thermal paste.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users