Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to get "Safely Remove" option for WD 1TB external HDD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kb11

kb11

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:26 PM

Hello,

This is in relation to a 1TB external hard disk drive of WD Elements. This one here - http://www.amazon.in/dp/B008GS8LT0/ref=pe_386221_48200641_TE_item

Each time I plug this in, it gets detected as a local drive, and does not give me an option to safely remove it. I have tried plugging in another USB pen drive at the same time, and windows does give me an option to safely remove that, but not for the WD 1TB HDD.

Have also tried to go properties of "Notification Area Icons" and have checked that "Windows Explorer - Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" is set to "Show icons and notifications".

Have also tried to go to Device Manager > Properties of thsi drive and to try to go to the "Policies" tab under there. But there is no such Policies tab for this WD 1TB HDD. (For my two actual internal local drives on this machine, the Policies tab does show).

I am running a Windows 7 Ultimate OS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:30 PM

What happens if you set your Explorer.exe to focus on displaying c-drive - just before attempting to eject the ext HD?  That has often [but not always] worked for me.

Edited by RolandJS, 09 April 2015 - 01:30 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 kb11

kb11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:30 PM

Sorry, am not very sure what you mean by that. Can you explain ?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:45 PM

If you're not using Explorer to copy or move files between hard-drive and external HD - disregard earlier post.  Explorer is what I daily use to copy and move files, then I leave it showing me the contents of c-drive, no longer showing the contents of my external HD.

I forgot you might be using something else.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 kb11

kb11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:48 PM

Ah, got what you're saying now.

However, the problem here is not that it does not that it says the drive is currently in use etc.. The issue is, it just doesn't give any option to Safely Remove ie it doesnt treat it as an external drive, and thus that very option is misisng... I hope I am able to explain clearly.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:57 PM

Yes, I'm kwik-reading through BleepingComputer's Download section, looking for a utility that will give you back the Safely Remove function.  Be back if I find it.  Not yet found solution on BC utilities section. Windows Club library has two very geeky solutions which I cannot test.

Edited by RolandJS, 09 April 2015 - 02:16 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:11 PM

When you attach the WD drive does it create a virtual CD/DVD drive for backup purposes? It's called WDsmartware. When the drive is attached, look in Device Manager under CD/DVD drives. There will be an extra CD/DVD drive shown.

Right click the drive in Computer, does the drive give an "Eject Option"?

#8 kb11

kb11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:18 PM

Hey JohnC_21,

It doesn't seem to create any virtual CD/DVD drive like you mentioned. The WD disk gets shown only under Disk Drives in Device Managaer, but with the missing "Policy" tab as I mentioned in my first post.

The attached screenshot shows both these things.[attachment=163666:1.jpg]

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,243 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:29 PM

Does it offer an eject option when you right click the drive in "Computer". What make and model is the computer or if custom the MB model. I am not sure why you are getting no policies tab.

Edit: With the drive attached, go to Disk Management. Click the Disk# for the USB drive on the left. Right Click > Properties. Is the Policies tab shown?

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 April 2015 - 02:34 PM.

#10 kb11

kb11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:42 PM

No option for Eject when I right click on the WD 1TB hard disk in My Computer. Screenshot 1: [attachment=163667:1.jpg]

Does this information help for the motherboard info? Screenshot 2: [attachment=163668:2.jpg]

--

Just saw your edit.

"Disk2" in screenshot3 [attachment=163669:3.jpg] is the external HDD  - it is called Elements (K:)

On right-click > properties, there is General Volumes Drivers and Details tab. Still no "Policies"

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,243 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:54 PM

I was thinking it may be a USB driver problem if you used USB 3.0 but the MB has no USB 3.0 ports. I would have to assume you have tried the drive on different USB ports. If you have then I am out of ideas. I have no experience with this software but take a look at USB Disk Ejector.

Edit: I am not sure why the article said it cost $20. Here is the website for it and it is donation software

http://quickandeasysoftware.net/software/usb-disk-ejector

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 April 2015 - 03:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users