Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse pointer issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 krucins25

krucins25

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:15 PM

For a while I've been having an issue with my mouse, specifically with the pointer on my PC screen. My mouse is Logitech Optical Gaming Mouse G400, the manufacturer is well known for having quality products, and the mouse itself was considerably expensive no less.

It's not old either, for a long time it worked fine and still does if we look at the technical point of view, the laser functions properly and USB connector isn't damaged either, atleast nothing i can see on the surface.

As for the issue,

the mouse pointer quite often freezes for different periods of time, sometimes for 1 second, sometimes for 3 seconds, no matter what you do on the PC, sit in the internet or play games, however one thing that's in common every time is the beeping sound, when it unfreezes, you usually hear when plugging/unplugging a device from your USB port.

I've searched in google for assistance from similar topics but so far no luck. Tried checking the mouse's driver...also everything seem fine, i am running -

> Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

> Intel Core 2 Quad CPU   Q6600

> 4 gig RAM

System is up to date, slow only when many softwares and other functions are open/running at the same time, which would make sense, however for the most time it's fine.

Oh, and one more thing, by accident i noticed that when the pointer freeze occurs, inside Control Panel, Device section on the installed mouse icon  '' ! '' mark momentarily appears, which usually refers to an issue, but disappears when mouse unfreezes and works again.

The freeze happens randomly, sometimes freezes every 10 -15 seonds for about 5 minutes, then works for 10 hours fine again,..completely random. unfortunately i don't have a spare mouse to see of the computer or the mouse is the cause.

Any help would be quite appreciated, because this issue is very annoying ad makes it difficult to do anything. :) I'm no expert, so for any reply, trying to keep it as simple as possible.

Edited by krucins25, 09 April 2015 - 01:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dernt

Dernt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:40 PM

Try installing or re installing the Logitech Gaming Software:

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/software/gaming-software

#3 krucins25

krucins25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:02 PM

Try installing or re installing the Logitech Gaming Software:

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/software/gaming-software

Thank you for the reply, ive installe dit successfully, if the issue persists or a new issue appears, ill keep this post updated. :)

#4 krucins25

krucins25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:00 PM

As i mentioned, i would update this thread, if my issue would persist and so it does.

Even after installing the Logitech gaming software, it wen't fine for about a day and a half, but now it seems there is the same issue repeating itself. The mouse pointer doesn't freeze as often, but it does nonetheless. Already hoped that the software would help.

And sadly i cannot think of anything that would cause the issue, because i'm no computer expert, only basic knowledge. Before i even posted on this site, i thought it might have something to do with the system, and that something is affecting the mouse..is that even a possibility?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:40 PM

How about the hardware?  Seems a logical candidate to me.

A mouse is not a significant investment to buy/replace/test the premise that yours is faulty.  You should be able to even borrow one.

Alrthough Logitech may be known for making decent parts...they don't issue a lifetime warranty with those products when they sell them.

Louis

#6 krucins25

krucins25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:35 AM

How about the hardware?  Seems a logical candidate to me.

A mouse is not a significant investment to buy/replace/test the premise that yours is faulty.  You should be able to even borrow one.

Alrthough Logitech may be known for making decent parts...they don't issue a lifetime warranty with those products when they sell them.

Louis

Thanks for the reply. Later i decided to take a look and as it happens it was a hardware issue, more specifically,  two of the wires in the cord were damaged, in fact they were broken apart at the location where the cord meets the mouse itself, it would seem that section suffers most so it made sense.Though it's unusual, because other non-computer related hardware tend to have some sort of protection, such as a thick layer of an extra material at the spot where the cord take sthe most pressure..in this case there is nothing, except for the inside near the electronics, which hardly makes sense in my opinion.

I fixed it as i could, but since the wires are so thin and fragile, the fix is not perfect, but it works for now and atleast it's a temporary solution until i buy a new one, because i spend a lot of time at my PC, i need to squeeze out of it as much as possible.

Not really sure which manufacturer is the most reliable one at the moment.

Edited by krucins25, 12 April 2015 - 11:40 AM.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:51 AM

My mouse is Logitech Optical Gaming Mouse G400

It's not old either

How old is it? Your mouse has a limited 3 year warranty which may or may not cover damaged wires.

If it is less than 3 years old you could contact Logitech to see if it is covered.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 April 2015 - 06:38 PM.
noticed typo which I corrected

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users