Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to avoid "10"

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:12 AM

We need a topic that covers how to avoid any sneaky MS tricks to force 10 on folks.  I for one do not wish to be a Sheepole  or a Lemming having to run an OS that if well checked into should screams stay away.  Seems to me what MS is going to or trying to do should be illegal hinging on monopoly!  That along with the proven ties between the NSA and MS should warn most off!

Hoe about starting a list of what to watch and avoid.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:28 AM

The easiest way to avoid Windows 10 and whatever it may bring: Use Linux :wink:

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

What makes you think that Microsoft is forcing Windows 10 on people right now? It's simply a technical preview and they encourage the users to take part in it, simple as that. They can't really force anyone to use it before the official release which is this summer.

You want to avoid Microsoft's shady tactics? Stop using their products. You want to stay off the radar from the NSA, Illuminati, 33 Degrees Freemanson and Aliens? Stop using every bit of technology you have. Simple that. I feel like everyday, more and more people starts wearing a tinfoil hat when it comes to technology and also Microsoft. Yes, Microsoft isn't perfect, neither is everything in this life. Threads like this just scares the users and I don't think that they need that.

Edited by Aura., 09 April 2015 - 11:37 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:35 AM

Hope that that is not true, old guy hate to have to learn new tricks.  True I started with Unix then 2.0 and on and on, I wish to quite here on "7".

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:50 AM

We need a topic that covers how to avoid any sneaky MS tricks to force 10 on folks.

I assume that you meant the Windows update that added a Windows 10 updater to existing Windows 7 and 8 installations.

In my opinion, Microsoft did that so when the time comes, users that want to go to Windows 10 will have an easy way to update. It is completely optional and not forced on anyone. Combined with the fact that Windows 10 is free for a year after official launch, this will make a lot of people wanting to switch to Windows 10.

Personally I will switch to Windows 10 once Emsisoft and Valve start supporting it. Windows 7 is good until 2020 - that's 5 more years - but eventually people will have to make the switch like they did with Windows XP.

The current Windows 10 builds are only Technical Preview, which means it is a long way from official release (we don't even know what the real name for Project Spartan is). So I would say your worries are a bit unfounded.

Just my two cents =)

Regards,
Alex

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:18 PM

For the practically minded:

Step 1 in avoiding windows 10, DO NOT let the update KB3035583 be installed. KB 3013816 (seems to cause forced change from normal to ms account type) and KB 2976978 (something to do with customer experience program) look pretty suspicious too.

I strongly agree with starting this thread, but it should keep to HOWs rather than speculation and argument.

Edited by rp88, 09 April 2015 - 12:19 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:22 PM

For your KB3013816: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3013816

Enables an MDM management service to detect and require a connected Microsoft account on computers that are running Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2. This includes explaining to the user what action is necessary.

For the KB2976978: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2976978

This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program in order to determine whether compatibility issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed. This update will help Microsoft and its partners ensure compatibility for customers who are seeking to install the latest Windows operating system.

I don't really see anything wrong with it to be honest. If you're worried, simply opt-out the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program and you should be fine.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:48 PM

Hopefully I can express my 2 cents here

I firmly believe all the "forced on us" & 'big bother' suggestions fall under the heading of N/A.

Cheers,
Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

#9 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:58 PM

For your KB3013816: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3013816

Enables an MDM management service to detect and require a connected Microsoft account on computers that are running Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2. This includes explaining to the user what action is necessary.

For the KB2976978: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2976978

This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program in order to determine whether compatibility issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed. This update will help Microsoft and its partners ensure compatibility for customers who are seeking to install the latest Windows operating system.

I don't really see anything wrong with it to be honest. If you're worried, simply opt-out the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program and you should be fine.

Are these suppose to be bad things?  If so, sorry, don't see it as such, @ all.  Sometimes, though I'm not sure why... there's a 'thing' to take even what might be good stuff or stuff for good reasons or stuff based on good reasoning & try to paint it black (anyway).
Maybe, I just care to be a 1/2 full attitude person.  Or maybe it's cus as an IT Pro I have to discover, learn, know & understand what exists... so I don't do much w/ like or dislike.. cus either way I have to use what there is.  Right now the only thing I think it ridiculous & outrageous is that the Start menu does not shrink when all those Tiles are removed... that's super dumb!  Yin-Yang... I sure like the Multiple Desktops Feature!

Cheers,
Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

#10 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:46 AM

In my opinion Windows 10 looks nice, worthy to use.

If Microsoft is keeping their trend of alternating between good and bad Windows releases, then Windows 10 would be one of the "good" ones.

(I love Cortana - she is one of my favorite Halo characters!)

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:04 AM

Are these suppose to be bad things?

In my eyes, they aren't bad things, but in the eyes of others, they might be.

I think it ridiculous & outrageous is that the Start menu does not shrink when all those Tiles are removed... that's super dumb!

But it does shrink? When I did it on the first Techical Preview build, I removed all the tiles and the Start Menu shrinked as I was removing them.

unite_blue.png

#12 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:58 AM

The important thing is to respect the choice of individuals to SWITCH OVER or to NOT SWITCH OVER as those individuals choose.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:07 AM

Does Microsoft forces you to update to Windows 10? Not at all. Show me where it does?

unite_blue.png

#14 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:19 AM

Does Microsoft forces you to update to Windows 10? Not at all. Show me where it does?

Not yet but they might start, lok what thye did with 8.0 to 8.1 . And one of the recent updates certainly is designed (according to several news sources) to give "nag" prompts.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:22 AM

I can understand Microsoft to want to push users from Windows 8 to 8.1. 8.1 makes the Windows 8 series tolerable to use compared to the plain old 8. Well, once you see one of these "nag" prompts, let us know, because right now I don't see any, which means that Microsoft isn't trying to force the users to move to Windows 10. Which company would force the users to move to a Technical Preview of an OS to be honest.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users