Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Q: How To Programmatically Cause Browser To Refresh Itself?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 James Hurst

James Hurst

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 04:43 PM

For a smoother workflow in building a webpage, I wrote a C# program which detects whenever I save the .html (or .aspx or whichever) file I'm editing, and FTPs it up to my webserver.

I have several other computers ("satelite hosts") on my desk running various browsers, and it would tickle my cooch if they would all instantly refresh themselves automatically. Maybe it's my ADD, but the fewer unnecessary little steps I have to do during development, the more focused my mind can be.

I can extend my program so that it signals a program that runs on each of those other computers, but then..

Q: HOW do we make IE, Firefox, or the other popular browsers, refresh themselves?

The workflow I'd like to have is that, each time I hit Ctrl-S to save my file, a chain reaction instantly happens, and all the other browsers are showing the update. If there's a significant time-delay, then the utility on my source-machine would show a little clock-face with an evolving color, and the same corresponding clock-face and color would appear on the satelite hosts when they are showing that same update.

I appreciate your masterly wisdom and your help. Thank you!

James Hurst

//Mod edit: Removed email address to protect from Spam Bots.//

Edited by KoanYorel, 01 July 2006 - 05:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users