Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading CPU and motherboard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sangre

Sangre

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:54 AM

So I bought the Asus B95M-G recently and it turned out that the BIOS version is too old for the i7 4790k that I've installed. Usually there's no information on the BIOS version when buying a motherboard so how can I know for sure that it's new enough to support the brand new CPU?

I'm interested in buying Asrock B85M pro 3 now. Does anyone know what BIOS version it has out of the box?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:12 AM

So I bought the Asus B95M-G recently and it turned out that the BIOS version is too old for the i7 4790k that I've installed. Usually there's no information on the BIOS version when buying a motherboard so how can I know for sure that it's new enough to support the brand new CPU?

I'm interested in buying Asrock B85M pro 3 now. Does anyone know what BIOS version it has out of the box?

Thanks!

Sangre,

You are better off getting a motherboard that has the Z97 Intel chipset in it. 

Here's one motherboard that would make an excellent choice for the i7 4790k.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($121.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $121.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-09 08:11 EDT-0400

#3 Sangre

Sangre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:27 AM

So the Z97 chipset is a guarantee of compatibility with 4790k? The Gigabyte GA-Z97X-gaming is a bit of an overkill. I'm not looking for the SLI support.

#4 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:44 AM

So the Z97 chipset is a guarantee of compatibility with 4790k? The Gigabyte GA-Z97X-gaming is a bit of an overkill. I'm not looking for the SLI support.

Sangre,

You were not specific as to what your needs were. I was not even considering SLi or Crossfire support.

I was looking at the Z97 Intel chipset motherboards.

The Z97 Intel chipset motherboards is very compatible with the i7 4790k processors. 

Here is another optional motherboard for you to consider:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($111.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $111.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-09 11:43 EDT-0400

#5 Sangre

Sangre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:59 AM

Thanks Serpius. You've pointed me in the right direction. 

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:00 AM

A less expensive alternative would also be the GIGABYTE GA-H97-D3H LGA 1150 Intel H97 which also supports that CPU.  It isn't as high-end as a Z97 board, but it will work.  The GIGABYTE GA-H81-D3 LGA 1150 Intel H81 will also work, but this is considered more of a budget board with features and limitations to match.

3939.png

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:53 AM

The Z97 and H97 boards should all work with the "Haswell Refresh" CPU's out of the box as these chipsets were released at the same time as the newer processors.

The older H81, B85, H87 & Z87 boards also work but some need a bios update.  This is more likely if the board is old stock and has been hanging around in a warehouse for some time...  I've seen some retailers will offer to upgrade a BIOS for you, but not many offer the service unfortunately.

As you are buying an unlocked "K" series CPU, be aware that only Z chipsets officially support overriding the multiplier setting, if that is a feature that is important to you.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 Sangre

Sangre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:38 AM

I'll run it in Turbo Boost mode at first and monitor the temperature. If it's not to high I'll try tweaking the multiplier a little.

#9 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:29 AM

As you are buying an unlocked "K" series CPU, be aware that only Z chipsets officially support overriding the multiplier setting, if that is a feature that is important to you.

That's why I recommended the Z97 Intel chipsets motherboard so that the person getting the 'K' series processors can utilize the full capacity of the processor if they choose to overclock the processor without having worry about the motherboard limitations of non-Z97 chipset based motherboards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users