Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HOW TO GET IP FROM GMAIL?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 keronkkumar

keronkkumar

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:51 AM

I  have this little "hacker" problem . This little low level " hacker " been getting access to some of my friends g mail acc , and i say " low level " cos i'm a total noob and i'm sure i know a few bits more than him . Any ways i been trying to get his ip and i manage to get an ip off his msn but when ever i do an ip tracker search , it always comes up as yahoo.host some thing in cali i think . i'm sure that's not his ip ( well i don't think it is ) but i just cant seem to get his correct ip . even if he was on a proxy it would show up as somewhere other than the yahoo thing right ? .

i just want to find a way to get his ip so i can match it to some of the other messages he sent on other account so i can at least verify that it's the same person .

i believe it's the same person because of his grammar and miss spelling of the same words in many of the other messages on other accs . i just can't prove its the same person .

any help or advise ?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 April 2015 - 09:34 AM.
moved from General Chat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:24 AM

Hi,

this should help: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/45938?hl=en

Google stores and displays the IPs of the last logins into each account.

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 keronkkumar

keronkkumar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:13 PM

thank you :)

#4 keronkkumar

keronkkumar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:09 PM

thank you but that does not tell me how to find the ip address of the sender . any tips ?

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,061 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

I'm not sure if the IP of an email's snder is even recorded by gmail BUT IF IT IS, the best place to look will be to go to the message you want to trace and choose the "show original" option to bring up it's full details and path of sending. https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22454?hl=en
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 keronkkumar

keronkkumar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:15 PM

thank you i'll try that

#7 keronkkumar

keronkkumar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:24 PM

i did it but it only shows "received by " . but it does not match my ip and when i try to search it i get

Reserved IP Addresses for private internet use.

#8 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,779 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:46 AM

Hi,

the sender IP is not usually revealed. You get the IP of the mail server, not necessarily the one from the person sending it.

If he has access to your friends gmail account, he is logging into it and his IP should be recorded as one of the logged in values. I still think that's your best shot.

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#9 keronkkumar

keronkkumar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:07 AM

thanks for your reply and no i don't have access to it . I can ask them to check the "logged in values" , but how do they do this ?

#10 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,068 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:22 PM

Hi,

this should help: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/45938?hl=en

Google stores and displays the IPs of the last logins into each account.

regards
myrti

I just tried that myself for gmail.  The result nowhere showed the expected, "X-originating-IP", which is what is supposed to show the internet address of the location person who sent a received message.

#11 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,779 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:45 PM

Hi,

cafejose are you the same person as keronkkumar?

I just tried that myself for gmail. The result nowhere showed the expected, "X-originating-IP", which is what is supposed to show the internet address of the location person who sent a received message.

Most public mail server's do not reveal the IP, therefore you will not find the x-originating-ip in every mail.

keronkkumar, the link is in the post that cafejose just posted. You can click on the button above to open the page.

regards
myrti

#12 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,068 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:44 PM

Hi,

cafejose are you the same person as keronkkumar?

I just tried that myself for gmail. The result nowhere showed the expected, "X-originating-IP", which is what is supposed to show the internet address of the location person who sent a received message.

regards
myrti

Why do you ask that?  I am someone else other than keronkkumar.

Edited by cafejose, 17 April 2015 - 07:45 PM.

#13 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,779 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 03:02 AM

Hi,

because it happens that people forget/remember their old login and then switch account and I didn't know if you are in the same position as him or not. What I suggested doesn't have anything to do with the emails sent. keronkkumar said the accounts are compromised and the hacker has access to them. I suggested he checked who has logged into the account, rather than to look who sent emails. The x-originating-ip would not be there.

GMAIL, for example, does not show the x-originating-ip header when you send a mail, neither does hotmail or, probably, most of the big email providers.

regards
myrti

#14 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,068 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:47 PM

Hi,

because it happens that people forget/remember their old login and then switch account and I didn't know if you are in the same position as him or not. What I suggested doesn't have anything to do with the emails sent. keronkkumar said the accounts are compromised and the hacker has access to them. I suggested he checked who has logged into the account, rather than to look who sent emails. The x-originating-ip would not be there.

GMAIL, for example, does not show the x-originating-ip header when you send a mail, neither does hotmail or, probably, most of the big email providers.

regards
myrti

I became aware of x-originating-ip from using Yahoo and AOL, and did not realize that other email services operate according to other data standards.  I tried a search or something... and wanted to try to understand "Headers".  

The forgetting of personal login information is understandable.  A registered member should make a personal written record for safe-keeping.   I am a separate person from keronkkumar.

---Note also, that password managers can be a problem in case someone forgets either username, password, or both; or even the address of the website.  Computer problem making you lose software or installed programs might have meant losing the software which held all the login credentials, so a written record would be needed, for later, after either restoring the computer or setting up new computer and getting back onto the internet.--------------off-topic.   This was supposed to be about getting IP from gmail.

#15 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,779 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:12 AM

Here is an explanation of headers by gmail:
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/29436?hl=en

x-originating-ip is not a mandatory field, therefore it is not sent by everyone.

regards
myrti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users