Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I transfer SSD from desktop to laptop?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brendon7358

brendon7358

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:59 PM

Hi :) let me do some explaining:

I hate laptops, they never cut it for me and are unreliable (I have also only ever used cheap laptops..).  I have never had any problems with desktops though, but there is a problem... I am going into the Air Force in 2 months, and I will not be able to bring my 30+ lb rig with me because that would just be too much of a pain in the a** so I have to get a laptop.  I got the Venom Blackbook 15, I figured since it had similar (but better) spec's than my current rig, I could just pretend it was a desktop and hopefully not have any problems.  I want to move the SSD from my desktop to the laptop when I get it to make the illusion even better, and I was wondering (and hoping) if I could just put it in and it would work.  I suspect this is not the case and therefore I seek your assistance on what I need to do to move my SSD from my desktop to the laptop with the least possible issues.

I suspect drivers for the CPU, GPU etc will be the problem so here are the spec's

Current Rig:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5GHz

GPU: Radeon R9 280x

MOBO: GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 AMD 990 ATX

Laptop:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M

MOBO: ???

I know, it can't get much different than that...

Also, when I get the laptop I will be selling my current rig, I'm not sure if I should part it out (much easier to ship), or sell the whole thing.  Also where (besides ebay) would be a good place to sell it?  I can give a full list of spec's if anyone is interested in buying it here, I will also be selling my keyboard (razer blackwidow ultimate stealth) and monitor (BenQ XL 2420te).

Thanks for your help :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:21 AM

I want to move the SSD from my desktop to the laptop

You will need to reinstall Windows I think.

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:31 AM

Can be done - but i would backup all important files just in case.

If you have a spare drive you can use Acronis and do a Backup of current C:\ Drive to that.

Also create a Acronis Boot Disk.

Fit the SSD in the Laptop / Boot from the Acronis Boot Disk / Select Restore Backup Image from the spare drive and ensure you

select Universal Restore Tab.

Ive done 2 Desktops after Mobo replacements / and 1 Lappy - had no issues.

Strange enough , recently i removed my 500g WD from HP G6  to put in a ASUS Lappy and tried as a test and it booted no probs and ran fine.

Did formatt it after anyway and full reinstall of her Product and Software.

So do a backup first and if everything doesnt work just leave the SSD in the Laptop and do a restore back.

#4 brendon7358

brendon7358
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:35 AM

How hard is it to switch out an SSD?  It comes with a 256gb one but mine is 500gb.  When I asked them about it, they recommended not removing it...

It appears the SSD in the venom is less a drive and more of a chip, therefore I would not be able to swap it out... I could swap my SSD with the HDD though, although then I would have less storage overall...

Edited by brendon7358, 09 April 2015 - 07:42 AM.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:24 AM

I put a 250 EVO in one of my LT's it replaced a 640 gig spinner the transfer software did not care that it was smaller.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users