Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A good question.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bennys

Bennys

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:44 PM

I want to know how a websites like Ratemyprofessor.com can get the names of all colleges and professors and use the data to create an suggestion when typing in the search bar?

Where would one start to add a similar feature to a website?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:40 AM

Hi Bennys,

This is achieved by way of something called AJAX, which stands for Asynchronous Javascript And XML.

You can learn about it at W3Schools by way of the following link:

http://www.w3schools.com/ajax/

Follow the tutorial though and you'll see how names lists like those at RateMyProfessor are done towards the end.

I recently used the technique myself for a membership management system for a model flying club I'm a member of: unfortunately, I can't link it to you because I've hidden that section of the site off that only authorised people in our club can see.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users