Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changed Bios - still boots to HD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LadyLee

LadyLee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:06 PM

Toshiba Satelite laptop.   I installed the Windows 10 preview and no thanks!!     Now, I want to re-install Windows 7 so I changed the Bios to boot from CD and it won't obey that.

The CD spins, everything seems fine.  I can go into Win 10 and observe the folders and files on the CD but no how will the boot originate from the CD it keeps right on taking me into Windows 10 Preview.  

I've double checked the boot sequence several times and turned the laptop back on again.  I had it plugged in and just now I pulled the plug. 

Any ideas? 

Donna

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,235 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:09 AM

This may help you out.  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/uninstall-windows-10-technical-preview

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 LadyLee

LadyLee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:09 PM

Thanks much Doppleganger but that is one huge joke.   I had already done the 'rollback' and that's what got me into this mess.   It makes an enormous mess out of Windows 10 basically removing much of the OS itself.  You boot into safe mode of windows 10 no matter what you try and absolutely nothing works.   You will have a huge mess using the rollback and no operating system at all.

I had an exclamation point in the bios in front of the HDD or if I moved the CDrom to be the boot drive then I had an exclamation point in front of that which makes that option un-usable. 

You are supposed to be able to remove the exclamation point by hitting the keys "Ctl and the number 1) but that would not work either.   Then, I finally removed the battery and fiddled around multiple times and got the exclamation point removed from the CD drive and lo and behold it finally booted using the CD.  

A complete Windows 7 install is what I did in the end.   Now, several hours of updates and installs.   Good old MS has you by the "you know what" once again.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:37 PM

It makes me sick to think that MS did this to everyone who wanted to preview WIN10.   The sad story here is you need to do the factory reset and reset factory default settings from the BIOS.  Then you can get back to booting from the CD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users