Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello Everyone

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:27 PM

Hi Y'all,

My friend Cat suggested I be part of this IT Forum.  He & I met in another such Forum quite a while ago.  I write in several other Tech Forums, already.  I can discuss & hopefully offer worthwhile help & advice on a few Windows Operating Systems and related peripheral computer stuff.

I own an IT consulting & support company, Computer Issues (www.drewsci.com), based in Calgary, AB, Canada. I was the Founding President of the IT User Group here in Calgary. I beta tested Vista for a year prior to its release. Also, by invite from MS, I beta tested Win7 for a year. Ran Windows 8 DP for several months. Then beta tested Windows 8 for MS. I am a Microsoft Partner, as is my company. Now running Windows 8 Pro (x64). I, also, run VMs of Win7 Ult (x64), Vista Ult (x64) and XP on Hyper-V... all for client support & or beta testing. I am a certified agent for BPOS & all Microsoft Online Services and a Microsoft Licensing Expert. Write in a number of tech forums which, makes me think, helps keep me learning, always learning & I like when I can help folks w/ solutions or info. I am, now, Beta Testing Windows 10; Running x64 TP as a Hyper-V VM w/ 250Gb HDD & 4Gb RAM.

Cheers,
Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

PS: Please, my name is Drew not, Drew1903

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:31 PM

Hello Drew, :welcome: to BC!

I suppose you are talking about one of our Advisors. :wink: Your friend is a wise man with wise advice!

#3 evanexempt

evanexempt

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:52 PM

Oh, wow, an opportunity to type about myself? 

Fabulous!

Hi, my name is Evan. 

You might find me delivering a magnum opus symposium on something as elementary as ASCII character defenitions at the binary level, venturing that each human language is just its own unique form of encryption -- all while having no idea what in the Bleep I am really talking about, hoping only to provoke wise interjections from my peers. 

I ask questions by rolling knowledge and ignorance into melodramatic anecdotes of What if's and If this only's, rarely bothering to consider the time and interest of whoever might (still) be reading. 

(Um... People who web on with their smartphones tend to hate me.)

Anyway, I am a 1980-born threenager who has gained a new appreciation for the role and importance of technology in my life. With this appreciation has come a desire to learn the depths and rudiments of that which I have previously taken for granted.  

But what has risen from my new awareness is a greater fear than I have ever known:

Our lives depend on these machines, this network -- and we are all extremely vulnerable to the threats therein!

A friend teases me: "So, Evan, I never see you anymore. Are you like a hacker now or something?"  

My response: "I don't know the first thing about 'hacking' and would I ever aim to award myself such a loaded title. I am just a person who is choosing not to remain ignorant of new and very-real threats... And so, I am learning the system-basics in order to have some hope of protecting myself in the future. I suggest you do the same."

I like BleepingComputer because I see true human frustration meeting a geniune desire to help one another. This is a great forum-site with more useful (and up-to-date) information you will find in any college textbook, let alone a retailer's "Geek" help-desk. 

For the record, I use Windows 7 and 8.1 on my main machines, though I have a couple of play-machines running Ubuntu and Debian. I am currently trying to root my mom's old Nexus6 (and failing). My apartment is becoming a zoo of warm LED boxes and knotted cables. I get in trouble at work for using our office LAN as an IT sandbox after-hours -- exploiting the vulnerabilities of an old Lanier printer network. (Aw yeah.)

I have no idea what in the Bleep I am doing. But at least I am having fun :)

Hi, everybody!   

#4 Drew1903

Drew1903
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:25 PM

Yes, that would be Charles.  Not sure how sagely like he I might be but, he, still, calls me friend, lol.  But, seriously, yes, he's a good fellow.  I trust y'all won't mind him suggesting I hang around some.

Cheers,
Drew

Edited by Drew1903, 08 April 2015 - 04:25 PM.

#5 Drew1903

Drew1903
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:17 AM

Seems like an unexpected response to a thread wherein I was introducing myself to the Forum.  But, never the less, "Hello".

Cheers,
Drew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users