Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Laptop Won't Boot from a Live USB.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 angela829

angela829

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:26 PM

I am not able to boot from a live USB on my laptop. I currently have USB Legacy enabled and my boot device order is set to start with USB HDD, SATA HDD, Network Boot, then SAT ODD. Also, when I hit F12 to go to the "Boot Option Menu," and I when I select USB HDD and hit enter...it still boots windows.   I have also tested my usb on a different laptop and it worked. My other laptop has Windows 8.1 and I was able to boot Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon (64bit) from my USB.

Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks!

System Summary:

Manufacturer: Lenovo

Model: Lenovo Win7 PC

Processor: Intel® Core™  i5-2450M

CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors

Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB

System type: 64-bit Operating System

Windows edition

Windows 7 Home Premium

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

System Manufacturer: Lenovo

System Model: 4334

System Type: x64-based PC

SMBIOS:  Version 2.7

Other Info

Local Disk (C:) Properties:

File system : NTFS

Free Space: 343GB

Attached Files

Edited by angela829, 09 April 2015 - 12:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:32 PM

Hello there,

When you attempt to boot from the aforementioned flash drive, what happens?

#3 angela829

angela829
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:33 PM

Hi,

It just goes right to windows.

Edited by angela829, 08 April 2015 - 02:34 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,916 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:59 PM

In your first BIOS screenshot it shows USB HDD. What happens when you press enter with it highlighted? Does it give an option to use something like USB pendrive?

Edit: I can't make out the menu options but instead of Enter you may be able to change USB HDD using F5/F6 or some other key like pageup/pagedown

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 April 2015 - 03:02 PM.

#5 skakko

skakko

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:12 PM

Hi when i try to install ubuntu linux in my other lenovo laptop i have ecoutered a problem for boot onto usb mode.. 

i have change uefi mode into legacy support and it start .... 

very strange ... 

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:13 PM

Try this....shut down the comp...plug in the flash drive...hit the power button to boot....when the screen comes up telling you to

hit F12 to select boot device..hit F12...you should then see the boot selection screen and you should see the Flash Drive listed...choose that

with the arrow keys...hit Enter. What happens? Does it boot into the Linux free drive?

It may not be F12...that was what I saw on a 2 year old Lenovo recently. On my HP it is Esc key.

Edited by buddy215, 08 April 2015 - 03:14 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:46 PM

It may not be F12...that was what I saw on a 2 year old Lenovo recently. On my HP it is Esc key.

On my Lenovo G580 it is the F12 key (F2 is BIOS).

#8 angela829

angela829
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:53 PM

In your first BIOS screenshot it shows USB HDD. What happens when you press enter with it highlighted? Does it give an option to use something like USB pendrive?

Edit: I can't make out the menu options but instead of Enter you may be able to change USB HDD using F5/F6 or some other key like pageup/pagedown

F5/F6 only allows me to change the order. Also when it's highlighed and I press enter, nothing happens.

#9 angela829

angela829
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:09 PM

Try this....shut down the comp...plug in the flash drive...hit the power button to boot....when the screen comes up telling you to

hit F12 to select boot device..hit F12...you should then see the boot selection screen and you should see the Flash Drive listed...choose that

with the arrow keys...hit Enter. What happens? Does it boot into the Linux free drive?

When I hit F12 my flash drive does appear, but when I hit enter on it...it still boots windows.

#10 angela829

angela829
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:10 PM

Hi when i try to install ubuntu linux in my other lenovo laptop i have ecoutered a problem for boot onto usb mode.. 

i have change uefi mode into legacy support and it start .... 

very strange ... 

That's interesting. Yeah, I don't even see an UEFI mode on mine. I only see a legacy option.

Edited by angela829, 08 April 2015 - 11:10 PM.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:02 AM

I would think if the Flash drive boots on another computer and you selected it to boot from on this computer and it still won't boot

that there is something wrong with the hardware. Possibly the USB or the flash drive.

You sure you highlighted the flash drive before hitting the Enter key? Had to ask....

Maybe try a different USB.

When you were in the BIOS...did you see Secure Boot and was it disabled? If you do see Secure Boot and it wasn't disabled, choose disable

and then change UEFI boot to CSM boot.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#12 angela829

angela829
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:40 PM

I would think if the Flash drive boots on another computer and you selected it to boot from on this computer and it still won't boot

that there is something wrong with the hardware. Possibly the USB or the flash drive.

You sure you highlighted the flash drive before hitting the Enter key? Had to ask....

Maybe try a different USB.

When you were in the BIOS...did you see Secure Boot and was it disabled? If you do see Secure Boot and it wasn't disabled, choose disable

and then change UEFI boot to CSM boot.

Ha, yes I highlighted the flash drive before I hit enter. And for Secure Boot, I don't even see that option anywhere or for UEFI. Should there be an option for that? I know on Window's 8 I have the option for Secure Boot.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,916 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:05 PM

How did you create the bootable flash drive. I would use Rufus with the iso file. Select MBR as the partition scheme. Where the dropdown box shows Freedos select Iso and browse to your iso file. Press start.

#14 angela829

angela829
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:14 PM

How did you create the bootable flash drive. I would use Rufus with the iso file. Select MBR as the partition scheme. Where the dropdown box shows Freedos select Iso and browse to your iso file. Press start.

I went to pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ and downloaded the USB installer through there. Is there a difference between Rufus and pendrivelinux?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,916 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:17 PM

Yes, there is a difference. Give Rufus a try and see if the flash drive boots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users