Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 evanexempt

evanexempt

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:41 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/572316/help-please-regarding-adwcleaner/#entry3675465 - Hamluis.

Since this is a current thread and I basically have the same types of concerns/questions as the thread-starter regarding the use of ADWCleaner, I am going to post here. Hope I'm not using too poor of board etiquette.

So, just real quickly, are these HKLM Chrome Extensions files/folders anything to worry about?  They seem odd to me because of the long and random looking letter suffixes. Should I delete these?  

I'm just nervous after hearing about mals using fake Chrome extensions lately. 

(Also, see question about third image below.)

Chrome-Extensions.png

Chrome-Folders.png

The one that really threw me was this file called "END".  I found a few discussion links on it but nothing difinitive. Is it dangerous?  Should I remove it? 

END-file.png

Thanks for any helpful thoughts!

Oh, and I am a Windows 8.1 user. 

P.S. My machine checked out OK on Emsisoft, Norton IS, and MalwareBytes earlier today. Machine seems to be running great and is not showing any typical symptoms of infection. 

Edited by hamluis, 08 April 2015 - 02:00 PM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:09 PM

The trick here is to Google the extensions name (these random strings of characters) and then see if they extensions are malicious or not. Since I'm lazy (or not really), I can do this for you, but I would ask you to provide me the AdwCleaner scan log, so I don't have to enter manually every extensions. Follow the instructions below to do so.

zcMPezJ.pngAdwCleaner - Scan Mode
  • Download AdwCleaner and move it to your Desktop;
  • Execute AdwCleaner, accept the EULA (I accept) then click on Scan;
    3MMtYxm.png
    Credits : MalwareExperts.com
  • Let the scan complete. Once it's done, click on the Report button to open the scan log;
  • Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users