Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

android 5.0.1 help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TgxLEGENDz

TgxLEGENDz

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:01 PM

ok so i have a samsung galaxy s4 active, and my friend just got the new adroid 5.0.1 update which was officially released earlier today i checked for the update on my phone and my phone tell me that it is up to date even though i know it isnt. i downloaded kies onto my computer and connected my phone to see if i could install the update from there, and it still tells me that my phone is up to date. this led me to wonder if it has even been released for the s4 active yet, and is only available for the original s4. am i wrong or right about this. if i am wrong how to i get my phone to find the update?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:07 PM

Hi TgxLEGENDz :)

What you're trying to do right now is to get a "OTA" (Over-the-air) update for your Android. OTA updates for Android are managed by Google, which releases the update, but also your phone carrier. To put it simply, when an update is released, not everyone will get it at the same time. Some devices will get it first, and then the other will follow. Some users will receive the update for their phone with Carrier A, while the same phone users with Carrier B will receive it later. Usually, newer devices will get the update first and older devices will get it later. I suggest you to check the link below for information on the Android 5.0.1 update for Samsung Galaxy S4 phones. It seems that it just started to be released and not every carriers are pushing it out yet.

http://www.androidpit.com/galaxy-s4-android-update

They'll update the article as they know more. For now, you can either wait for the update to be pushed via OTA, or download the Android 5.0.1 image from Google Android website and flash it yourself (which means you'll reinstall Android, and lose everything unless you take a back up first).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 TgxLEGENDz

TgxLEGENDz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:26 PM

Ok so I have at&AT&T which I know has released the update because they were the first to release it I also o lyrics got the phone two weeks ago if that is what you mean by newer devices me and my friends have the exact same phone on the same carrier but he got it and I didn't. Is the update being distributed to certain people or does it only depend on your carrier and phone type

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:29 PM

Me and my co-worker both have the Nexus 5, same carriers and we got the Android 5.1 update a few days in between each others. Is your phone rooted?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 TgxLEGENDz

TgxLEGENDz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:31 PM

No my phone is not rooted, because it is my primary device and I have no backup device so I am very protective of it. This is also why I haven't installed it manually

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:34 PM

I would give it a few days then, up to week. Just to make sure the update have time to be pushed since pushing the same update on every devices at the same time would pretty much jam the update servers.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users