Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Commits Suicide And Takes Other Apps Along With It

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 invisibleink

invisibleink

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 02:49 PM

ok so i get back from vacation and my computer has gone off the deep end in the past 3 weeks. it worked fine when i left and i have no idea what it did to itself while i was gone but it all started with:

1) my norton antivirus had gotten completely gutted by something, it had error messages all over the place in it until eventually it just told me to uninstall it and then reinstall it so i uninstalled it and now cant reinstall it using....
2)....google pack updater which i had used originally to download norton antivirus 2005 from. however now google pack updater has refused to do anything at all since i uninstalled norton antivirus

3) msn messenger doesnt sign in anymore, when i go to type in my email address in the sign in screen it gets really laggy and takes about 2 minutes for it to actually show up after i type it and then it always says the service is unavailable (i do the troubleshoot and that says there may be a proxy or firewall issue.

4) last but not least when i click on start > search to try to search for potential virus files it doesnt work. its hard to explain but when i click on it the screen opens but in the title bar just a folder image appears with no words and nothing comes up to allow me to search so it is essentially a blank screen.

theres probably more stuff i havent discovered yet but does anyone have any idea on what could be the problem? any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated
ive already ran adaware, spybot, and AVG a few times and while they have found things, it doesnt seem to have helped yet. AVG finally got rid of a trojan i had had for a while called whistlesilent.exe that norton never could get rid of (atleast i think it did because last time i scanned it didnt show up)

thanks in advance for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 01:23 AM

Try this self-help guide to remove Norton:
How To Remove Norton
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 invisibleink

invisibleink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:35 AM

i tried doing what it says here:
norton removal tool

but when i got to SymNRT it said file cannot be runned because it is not signed or something like that. i have also tried downloading it from several other sources on the internet and they all say the same thing about it not being signed so it cant run... any way around this?

#4 Bernie70

Bernie70

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 11:57 AM

Having the same problem here invisible

I posted on the actual removal thread. didn't know where else to post. I think the problems on their end...

#5 invisibleink

invisibleink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 07:00 PM

still cant get symNRT to run.

also i would like to hear someones thoughts on what they think happened to my start > search function. ive never seen or heard of anything like that happening before... and its especially annoying because if i had it i could just search for norton or mcafee crap and delete it like that but i cant :-(

#6 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:24 PM

i tried doing what it says here:
norton removal tool

but when i got to SymNRT it said file cannot be runned because it is not signed or something like that. i have also tried downloading it from several other sources on the internet and they all say the same thing about it not being signed so it cant run... any way around this?

Try the online tool Here .
Must use IE. Create a System Restore Point for a safety net.

Edited by hillbillygreek, 04 July 2006 - 09:27 PM.

#7 invisibleink

invisibleink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:14 PM

how exactly does one make a system restore point? id assume you cant save it to the hard drive since that has the potential of crapping out but i also know the info wouldnt fit on a floppy disc or something so am i supposed to burn it to a CD?

#8 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:08 PM

Read this tutorial for all information on System Restore.

Click here: System Restore Guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users