Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung Printer printing out multiple pages per side and not single page per sid

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 regazza

regazza

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:31 AM

If I want to print out a single page my printer prints it in small print so that it covers half an A4 sheet and when I want to print out multiple pages it prints out the pages so that the pages are side by side in small print.  When I send something to print in Microsoft Office I have to keep changing the printing preference to Single page per side type from Multiple Pages per side as I cannot change the default.  If I am printing out an email etc I cannot change the printing preference.  Should I just uninstal my printer and re-instal it? The printer isn't new but this is a new issue, the drivers are up-to-date..  How can I sort it please. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:50 AM

Each program, including Windows Notepad, "talks" to the printer differently.  A similar thread somewhere had the person take the cursor to the bottom of the document [which happened to end up in blank page 2] and delete everything until he reached the last word on page 1. That worked.  Sometimes setting the printer's default to font, size, etc works -- although many programs override printer defaults and transmit their own printing defaults.  I've had this battle since dot matrix accounting printers, now with Brother HL1440 Laser printer.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 regazza

regazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:34 AM

Each program, including Windows Notepad, "talks" to the printer differently.  A similar thread somewhere had the person take the cursor to the bottom of the document [which happened to end up in blank page 2] and delete everything until he reached the last word on page 1. That worked.  Sometimes setting the printer's default to font, size, etc works -- although many programs override printer defaults and transmit their own printing defaults.  I've had this battle since dot matrix accounting printers, now with Brother HL1440 Laser printer.

Sorry, but I think you have misunderstood my post.   My printer has just started to print out single\multiple pages side by side, that is, for example,  if I sent to print one page, it prints out one half of an A4 Sheet of paper in small print.  If I sent to print 2 pages - pages 1 and 2 are printed on the same sheet of A4 paper side by side rather than printing the two pages out on two separate sheets of A4 paper.  As I said I can only change the printing preference for one printing job in Microsoft word and I want to know how I can alter the printer's default .

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:37 AM

If you have Windows 7, click the Windows Globe > Printers and Devices. Right click your printer and select Printing Preferences. Changes here should set what you want as default.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:00 AM

regazza, you're right, you asked about printer default!  Sorry for miss-understanding!  I thought you meant how to "lock in" printer default.  I need better reading glasses and better lighting  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 regazza

regazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:39 AM

If you have Windows 7, click the Windows Globe > Printers and Devices. Right click your printer and select Printing Preferences. Changes here should set what you want as default.

I have W8.1, I have done a troubleshoot but still cannot sort the problem out.  I used to be able to select what I wanted to print out ie. a paragraph but can't do that anymore.  Printer will does not print out the current page, so if I want to print out page 3 and not print out pages1,2 and 4.  I can't. :scratchhead:

#7 regazza

regazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:40 AM

regazza, you're right, you asked about printer default!  Sorry for miss-understanding!  I thought you meant how to "lock in" printer default.  I need better reading glasses and better lighting   :)

:oopsign:  :)

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,456 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:51 AM

I am not sure this will work but try the following.

Go to Printers and Devices. Right click the printer and select Properties. Under the Advanced tab click Print Processor and instead of RAW select NT EMF 1.006 then Okay. Reboot and see if you can print a current page.

#9 regazza

regazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:32 PM

I am not sure this will work but try the following.

Go to Printers and Devices. Right click the printer and select Properties. Under the Advanced tab click Print Processor and instead of RAW select NT EMF 1.006 then Okay. Reboot and see if you can print a current page.

Thanks I have tried that but it hasn't worked.   Gone into Hardware and Devices and there is a problem detected with Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Requested Failed).  I have done Device Manager/Universal Serial Bus Controllers\Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) has an error sign.  I have tried updating the driver but The best driver software for the device is already installed, could I uninstal it?  could this be the cause of my printer issue or should I just uninstal my printer and re-instal it?.  

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:49 PM

Try JohnC's advice first.  If still nogo, uninstall and reinstall, then do again as JohnC advised.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,456 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:53 PM

Try the following. Uninstall the printer software. Once uninstalled go to Devices and Printers. Click on the Microsoft XPS document printer and in the menu bar select Print Server Properties. Under the Drivers tab make sure there are no drivers for your Samsung printer listed. If there is click on them and select Remove.

Download USBdeview and run the program with the printer removed. Look for any Samsung listing if any and delete. Reinstall the Samsung Driver and see if that solves the problem.

#12 regazza

regazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:19 AM

Try the following. Uninstall the printer software. Once uninstalled go to Devices and Printers. Click on the Microsoft XPS document printer and in the menu bar select Print Server Properties. Under the Drivers tab make sure there are no drivers for your Samsung printer listed. If there is click on them and select Remove.

Download USBdeview and run the program with the printer removed. Look for any Samsung listing if any and delete. Reinstall the Samsung Driver and see if that solves the problem.

Have uninstalled printer software and then gone to Devices and Printers.  I do not have Microsoft XPS document printer and cannot select Printer Server Properties.  Have downloaded USBdeview and Samsung was not in the list to be deleted, (only my Samsung music player).  I have re-installed the printer and have still got the same issue as before that everything I print out is in very small print and prints out on half of an A4 sheet.  The printer test sheet was perfect and printed out how it should have.

I don't know whether the printer issue is connected to this "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Failed is not working properly)" error sign.  I have uninstalled it in Device Manager and it keeps reinstalling as an error.  I have now disabled and uninstalled it twice and yet it still re-instals itself showing that there is an error on my laptop. I have done a hardware diagnostic scan that shows there is a problem with my USB device and Errors were detected on my laptop.  I think I will to do a Refresh, which I don't want to have to do.  

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,456 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:35 AM

Try the steps shown in this video.

#14 regazza

regazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:06 AM

Try the steps shown in this video.

Thanks for your help JohnC, but unfortunately it didn't work for me still have the error sign on the Unknown USB Device.

John I have just done again the USBdeview again and have noticed the Unknown USB Device on there. location Port_#0005.Hub_#0003 - I will delete it.

Edited by regazza, 09 April 2015 - 09:17 AM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,456 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:22 AM

This may be a printer hardware issue. You posted there is no XPS printer in Devices and Printers, is there a FAX printer shown. Clicking that would also bring up print server properties.

Edit: Print Server Properties can also be opened by typing Run in the Search bar and then using this command.

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /s

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 April 2015 - 09:32 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users