Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 "other user" at login drives me nuts...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:47 PM

So, couple of days ago my hard drive died.

Luckily the very same day I created fresh Acronis image, so I bought new drive and I used Acronis image to restore my computer to the very recent state.

Now everything works fine but there is one issue at the login screen.

I'm the only user of this computer and before my drive crashed I disabled login screen so the computer was booting straight to Desktop.

Now after my computer starts I'll get this:

Attached File  SNAG-0000.gif   145.63KB   1 downloads

I click OK and then back arrow to list of users.

I see this:

Attached File  SNAG-0001.gif   163.49KB   0 downloads

When I select "Broni MyLastName" then I can enter password and I get to Desktop (if login defaulted to "Broni MyLastName" I would even have to enter any password).

Apparently my computer login defaults to "Other user" which I have no clue what it is.

I never set it up and I never set any password there.

I searched the net for how to change default login to "Broni MyLastName" but nothing seems to work.

Please save my sanity :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:51 PM

I'm pretty sure this can be done via local GPOs to be honest, since I've done something similar in the past. Do you have access to the Local Group Object Policy Editor on your Windows 8/8.1 or not?

Edit: Looks like I was right :P Did you try this?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-security/cannot-delete-other-user-account/737c1c2c-81e9-4400-bf48-d68421c7c819

Edited by Aura., 07 April 2015 - 07:51 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:07 PM

There is no secpol.msc  on my Windows 8 version. I think it's only present in Enterprise edition but...

In the future I'll know what to do when I have a problem.

Just post a question.

As soon as I did Eureka moment came after two days od searching for solution...lol

This is the solution...

Open netplwiz.

Checkmark “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.”

Click Apply.

Uncheck “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.”

Click Apply.

You'll be asked to enter your current password.

OK your way out.

Restart computer and it logins to "Broni MyLastName" and then straight to Desktop.

WOW!

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:11 PM

The secpol.msc is present only on Windows 8/8.1 Professional and Entreprise, not the normal edition. I have Windows 8.1 Professional and I have it :P See, you only needed to post a thread to think a bit more :wink:

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:18 PM

Exactly...lol

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users