Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drivers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ballonflower90

Ballonflower90

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:59 PM

I upgraded to windows 7. I checked in device manager to make sure all was in order and found two yellow marks.

1. PCI Flash Memory driver. (code 28)

2. Video controller ENCB 714 Card Bus Media reader.

Tried to find drivers at Toshiba site and thru other means.

I was told about Driver Pack Solutions. I have gotten the IOS. I decided to ask site about this software. Have not found anything negative about it.

What is the best way to find drivers? What is a legit  free software to use? Microsoft site had no help, Toshiba is much good either.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

Do not use the driverpack software. Right click each device with the yellow exclamtion mark, select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line shown from each device.

What is the model of the Toshiba and is your Windows 7 32bit or 64bit?

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 April 2015 - 07:05 PM.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:11 PM

If I were you, I would stay away from all these "driver updaters" software, they are nothing but trouble for the system.
  • Drivers are "middlemen" between your OS (Windows) and your hardware (computer). They control and facilitate the interaction between Windows and hardware components, to deliver a "message", nothing more;
  • Having all of your drivers up to date, all the time, will not improve the performance of your system, nor your computer. You cannot increase the hardware performance of a component over the current capabilities it have;
  • Driver updates are released to fix a bug or an issue with a previous release of that driver. Not everyone with the same drivers will experience the issue, so if you are having no problems with the drivers you are running, you don't need to update them. "If it's not broken, don't fix it";
  • You can download drivers for free from your computer/laptop manufacturers website, or from the hardware component manufacturers website. You don't need to pay for any of them, if you are being asked to pay for drivers it is likely a scam;
  • Only drivers from the computer/laptop manufacturers website, or the hardware component manufacturers website are considered official (legitimate and working). You should not download drivers from anywhere else;
  • Driver Updaters are a scam, they try to convince you that you need these programs in order to make your system perform well, which is false;
  • It has been tested and proven that these programs will detect outdated drivers on a system that have the most updated drivers from the manufacturer, which shows that they don't work and/or they try to make you install "newer" suspicious drivers;
  • The goal of the distributors of such programs is to make money by making you buy their useless product, or install additional software (PUPs) when you install their program. Your system will perform worse with these programs installed than without;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Ballonflower90

Ballonflower90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:54 PM

John C. and Aura

Toshiba M65-S821. Had XP. Upgraded to 7 Ultimate 32 bit.  Working great. Just thought I would find out if I needed to worry about those two yellow marks.  Like you  said " If not broken ,don't fix it.

Thank you.

Love this site.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:55 PM

Sadly it doesn't look like Toshiba have drivers support past Windows XP for that laptop model. Can you follow the instructions John given in post #2 to get us the VEN and DEV Ids of both devices?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users