Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-install Chrome - consequences?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Magic Sam

Magic Sam

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:18 PM

For some reason my default browser Chrome no longer fires up even though I can access IE and Firefox.  Simple solution I thought: Re-install Chrome. But if I do this will it overwrite (extinguish) my bookmarks, or just take them over as if it was a version upgrade?

These bookmarks are not saved as favo(u)rites in IE or Firefox but I suppose must reside in a file somewhere on my hard disc which if necessary, and if I could locate it, I could copy in the form of a .bak file.  Is this advisable and if so where does it hide?

The PC in question still uses XP.

Tks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:31 PM

You can save your bookmarks before doing a clean reinstall of Chrome. See info in link below.

QUOTE:  However, if you're just wondering where they are on your Windows computer, they are located in ...\Chrome\User Data\Default\Bookmarks

(full extensions might look like C:\Documents and Settings\<USER NAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Bookmarks or C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default)

I suggest using Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware in Advanced Mode for uninstalling Google Chrome. But be sure not to delete the saved bookmarks...:)
You may want to save them in an email or flash drive to be sure.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:50 PM

Tks for your quick and helpful reply which I will put into action tomorrow. I would normally have just installed the replacement Chrome over the original or if I had thought about it just used Add / Remove Programs. You obviously believe that there are advantages of using Revo.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:55 PM

Yes, the advantages are a cleaner uninstall plus whatever corruption Chrome is experiencing could include the Chrome's uninstaller.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,936 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:15 PM

Hi Magic Sam,

Before removing Google Chrome make sure you export or sync your bookmarks to avoid the risk of losing them!

See if you can start Chrome in Incognito mode and export the bookmarks from there.

Recent versions of Google Chrome save some preferences and bookmarks encrypted if you don't backup using Sync (backup to the cloud to your Google account) or export the bookmarks you can lose them because a simple copy of the files could result in a file unreadable!

Edited by SleepyDude, 07 April 2015 - 05:15 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:32 PM

I'll only be able obviously to export the bookmarks if I can get Chrome to start in the first place, so will try with Incognito.  Or in Safe Mode???

I was assuming that if I copy the bookmarks in whatever (default) format then the Chrome replacement will be able to read them. An/or I don't know if I can force IE or Firefox to import them - the option seemed to be greyed out

#7 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:25 PM

Hi Magic Sam,

Before removing Google Chrome make sure you export or sync your bookmarks to avoid the risk of losing them!

See if you can start Chrome in Incognito mode and export the bookmarks from there.

Recent versions of Google Chrome save some preferences and bookmarks encrypted if you don't backup using Sync (backup to the cloud to your Google account) or export the bookmarks you can lose them because a simple copy of the files could result in a file unreadable!

I'll only be able obviously to export the bookmarks if I can get Chrome to start in the first place, so will try with Incognito.  Or in Safe Mode???

I was assuming that if I copy the bookmarks in whatever (default) format then the Chrome replacement will be able to read them. An/or I don't know if I can force IE or Firefox to import them - the option seemed to be greyed out

Google Chrome has no setting for auto-start into incognito mode, but you can right-click the program icon and choose New Incognito Window.

The bookmarks can be "Exported", as an html file, and this you can save anywhere-path you want.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:55 PM

Have you tried following the path to the bookmarks?

C:\Documents and Settings\<USER NAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Bookmarks or C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default)

#9 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:01 AM

Latest is that following reboot this morning Chrome seems to have recovered so it will be a matter of adopting Plan B and making a precautionary backup of the bookmarks as previously discussed. If it works blessing in disguise perhaps. Tks.

#10 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:32 AM

Bookmarks now saved to flash drive as html.  Attempts to then import these to IE 8 failed despite following the Help file because the import option seems to be totally missing.  Attempts to do the same with Firefox failed because it only "recognizes" IE which by definition doesn't yet have my favorites or bookmarks!  Everything now depends in an emergency on Chrome being able to access the html files on my USB and desktop (duplicate). Nothing in life is simple.

#11 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,936 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:25 AM

Hi,

Bookmarks now saved to flash drive as html.  Attempts to then import these to IE 8 failed despite following the Help file because the import option seems to be totally missing.  Attempts to do the same with Firefox failed because it only "recognizes" IE which by definition doesn't yet have my favorites or bookmarks!  Everything now depends in an emergency on Chrome being able to access the html files on my USB and desktop (duplicate). Nothing in life is simple.

Internet Explorer 8 is old you should update because of security problems...

In Internet Explorer there is a Import and Export option inside the File Menu or if you open the favorites bar

In Firefox press CTRL + SHIFT +B to open the Library manager then use the option Import bookmarks from HTML

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#12 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:29 AM

Thanks I think I have now succeeded, not without a struggle due to IE and FF not "recognizing" Chrome for some reason.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users