Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

8 to 8.1 and format?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Red Kelt

Red Kelt

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:36 PM

Hello all.

My son's Sony Vaio laptop is now crawling along.

It's win 8, I want to format it and install 8.1.

Whats the best way of doing it?  Is it with a disc and can I dload this from MS?

Thx in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:39 PM

Hello there,

Windows 8.1 is more like a Service Pack to Windows 8 (although it seems otherwise). You can download the upgrade to Windows 8.1 for free in the Windows Store.

Regards,
Alex

#3 Red Kelt

Red Kelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:43 PM

Thx

Can I dload an image which contains only 8.1 or is it a case of getting 8.0 and then upgrading?

Also how do I tell if the OS is 64 or 32 bit?

#4 skakko

skakko

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:45 PM

Hi Red Kelt,  windows 8 and windows 8.1 for me is the same thing. In other words u can restore it with sony recovery tool that is installed in ur sony laptop.

Edited by skakko, 07 April 2015 - 02:46 PM.

#5 Red Kelt

Red Kelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:46 PM

Hi skakko.

I did the reset thing but this also reinstalled sony programs as well as McAfee.

I think the machine needs a clean install to breathe some life into it.

#6 skakko

skakko

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:47 PM

u must check the system is 64 or 32 bit ... very important .... 

#7 skakko

skakko

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:51 PM

in  this case u can make a clean install if u have a disc, but is very important backup ur drivers ;)

Edited by skakko, 07 April 2015 - 02:51 PM.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:58 PM

Hi,

You can download the Windows 8.1 media directly from Microsoft here make sure you select the edition that matches what you have.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#9 Red Kelt

Red Kelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:46 AM

Many thx for all the replies.

I got the image and reinstalled, however the setup did not format the drive and mbam found over 200 threats.

On start up this morning I got outgoing threats.

I'm in the process of running mbam again.  no threats after 25 minutes so far.

However is it possible to wipe the drive clean with a win 8.1 reinstall?

I can see there is a virus present which 360 Total security missed, its called 'ninja loader'.

Edited by Red Kelt, 08 April 2015 - 03:55 AM.

#10 skakko

skakko

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:01 AM

Beacasue it is an update about windows 8.1, and not format the drive but update ur windows 8 without remove any threads present on it.

U must make a clean install about windows 8.1 for have a clean drive and operating system..

U need a windows 8.1 disc installation and its possible u must backup ur drivers before u make it .

Or u can restore windows 8 partition with sony recovery tool and u can update it to windows 8.1.

For me is the best easy way.

Another way is to run adwcleaner and combofix and after u can update windows 8 to windows 81. without any threads..

P.S. sorry my bad english  but the concept is it :(

Regards

Edited by skakko, 08 April 2015 - 05:07 AM.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:25 AM

Another way is to run adwcleaner and combofix

ComboFix is a very powerful reporting and scripting tool that was developped by sUBs, used by members of the malware removal team here on BleepingComputer (and also on other forums). This tool can easily break a Windows installation if poorly and/or wrongly used. It can make the whole system unbootable and also delete everything present on your drives (leaving you with close to no chance of recovery) or damage your Windows installation so badly that you would be forced to reinstall it. Therefore, you should not be using ComboFix unless you are in one of the two situation listed below:
  • You have been trained in an online malware removal forum to use ComboFix;
  • You are using it under the supervision and instructions of a trained malware removal professional on BleepingComputer or another recognized malware removal forum (UNITE forums for example);
If you already ran ComboFix on your system and need assistance with the log, you will have to post a thread in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs section of BleepingComputer, where a trained helper will assist you.

If you have any questions or concerns about ComboFix, quietman7 wrote a FAQ on it and you'll find all your answers in it.

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

Also be aware that BleepingComputer doesn't provide any advice on how to use ComboFix on your own, due to the nature of the tool and how dangerous it can be when used without supervision or proper training.

I got the image and reinstalled, however the setup did not format the drive and mbam found over 200 threats.

You can format the whole hard drive during the Windows 8.1 installation process, by bringing up the command prompt via Shift + F10 and using the diskpart utility, followed by the clean command on the disk you want to install Windows 8.1 on to delete every partitions, leaving only one big unallocated space. You might also want to use convert gpt to convert the hard drive to a GPT partition table, as Windows 8.1 will run better on it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users