Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

logging my Vista laptop on to a network kills bandwidth for all users

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TacticalUnderpants

TacticalUnderpants

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:49 PM

Salutations Saviors!

I have a sony Vaio laptop running vista home premium 32-bit. Problem developed very recently.

It occurs when I access a network wirelessly or wired. For about 30 seconds all is well, and I have internet access at normal speed. After 30 seconds, the bandwidth of the network drops to nearly nothing for all users on the network. I.e. webpages will not load or will take several minutes to load the most basic parts of a webpage.

Logging my machine off of the network does not solve the problem for all other users. Rebooting the router does not solve the problem either. The only way I have been able to restore bandwidth on the network is to reset and re-configure the router. Then all is well once again, unless I log the problem child laptop onto the network. The problem happens again as sure as gravity.

I have accessed three different networks with the same results as stated above.

Is there hope?

Thanks very much in advance

Edited by computerxpds, 07 April 2015 - 09:43 PM.
Moved to networking from Vista forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:57 PM

In Device Manager Right click the wireless adapter, select Propterties, and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the drop down box. Copy and post the first line in your next post.

You can try using this utility. Select Advanced Repair for your wireless adapter in the dropdown box and see if the problem re-occurs.

#3 TacticalUnderpants

TacticalUnderpants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:45 PM

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001C&SUBSYS_04231468&REV_01

when I try to run NetAdapterRepair I get the following error:

To run this application, you must install one of the following versions fo teh .NET Framework:

v.4.0.30139

I installed the latest version of mscoree.dll, yet still get the same error

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:37 PM

Go here. Download the driver 7.7.0.498. Click the green download button. It will a bit for the download to begin. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. Drag the Vista32 folder to the desktop. Open Device Manager. Right click the Wireless adapter and select Update driver Software

1. On the How do you want to search for driver software? window, click on Browse my computer for driver software.
  2. In the next window labeled Browse for driver software on your computer, click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, located at the bottom of the window.
  3. Click the Have Disk... button located under the text box.
  4. Click the Browse... button on the Install From Disk dialog box that appeared. Browse to the inf file in the Vista32 folder you unzipped.

Reboot.

Note: Before you do this create a Restore Point and a Vista System Repair Disk if have not done so yet.

In your uninstall program list is .NET Framework 4 listed?

#5 TacticalUnderpants

TacticalUnderpants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:33 PM

That link took me to the Czech Atheros Driver site. The download link gave me a bunch of spam mobile app software. Which file specifically am I looking to download?

In my uninstall programs list, I have:

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5

Edited by TacticalUnderpants, 07 April 2015 - 07:36 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:47 PM

That was the site I linked to. I never had a problem with it but I have firefox with noscript and adblock. I will download the driver and upload it to my Dropbox account and provide a link.

You do not have .NET framework 4. If you want it you can use the web installer here.

Edit: Sorry, I did not provide the correct link. Here is the direct link to the driver. 7.7.0.498

Edit Edit. If you do install .NET 4 be prepared to install a few security updates after the install.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 April 2015 - 07:50 PM.

#7 TacticalUnderpants

TacticalUnderpants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:08 PM

OK. Now have .NET Framework 4. Installed the latest wireless adapter driver as per your instructions. Ran Net Adapter Repair's "advanced repair" on the wireless adapter.

The original problem persists. About 30 seconds of connectivity, then nothing for all network users.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:17 PM

I can only recommend you try to reset the TCP/IP stack and Winsock. I believe this should have been done by the adapter repair utility but you can do it manually. At an elevated command prompt type.

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reboot

If that does not solve the problem, I would PM a moderator and ask to move this thread to the Networking Forum. 

#9 TacticalUnderpants

TacticalUnderpants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:38 PM

Thanks, but no change. I'll get hold of a moderator. Thanks for your help.

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:07 AM

You could also restore back to before it started. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#11 TacticalUnderpants

TacticalUnderpants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:50 AM

if I had a back-up to restore to. my fault. thanks for the suggestion though!

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:41 AM

no restore points? I'm not talking reloading windows.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users