Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

600AC USB network adapter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 captaininternet

captaininternet

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:18 PM

I recently bought a 600AC Sabrent network USB adapter in order to connect at 5GHz on my PC. The driver installed fine and shows as 'this driver is functioning properly' but the device doesn't seem to work. It's like it's dead (even though the LED glows). It's not that it doesn't find any wireless networks, it's more like it just isn't functioning. (If it weren't finding any networks, I would think I could up an empty network list.) I can't even get to that point. I have an older adapter that works just fine, so I know it's not a matter of there not being networks to find.

I know if I have another adapter installed and running at the same time, it can cause conflicts, but the other adapter is also a USB adapter, and it's completely disconnected when I try the new one. Should I still uninstall my old adapter first? That doesn't seem logical, once it's disconnected, especially physically. What about my internal, wired adapter? I wouldn't think the two would conflict.

Windows 7 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:41 PM

It is always possible that it is in fact faulty. Depending on how much it cost I would either take it back to the supplier or write it off to experience.

While I wouldn't connect two such adapters at the same time, there is no need to uninstall software for any others just to use - or try to use - this one. I think I currently have the software for three different adapters on this computer but, as far as I know, it has never caused a problem.

I am not quite clear about what you mean in your reference to 'internal wired connector'. If you are referring to a LAN by ethernet cable I would use that in preference to wireless as it normally provides better performance. If you are referring to an internal wi-fi card, then I would remove it since this will create the situation of having to wi-fi sets working at the same time with a high risk of conflict.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 captaininternet

captaininternet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:37 AM

By "internal wired connector" I mean my LAN by ethernet cable.

I tried another brand for an adapter and still had the same issue. I googled until my fingers hurt and a lot of people had the same issue, but it was typically due to WLAN being disabled in services. This was not my case. I am still unable to resolve the issue. Not a big deal since I am wired, but I would have liked to get the adapter to work.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:03 PM

I think it is possible that your ethernet LAN connection is overriding your WLAN connection. Try unplugging the LAN cable and see it the 600 adaptor works then. As you know, in general you will always get better performance out of a wired connection than a wireless one.

Another possibility is that you have not in fact got the correct drivers for the 600. This happened to me a couple of years ago when I was given an 802.11n router. Since my desktop connects by wireless, by USB adapter, I went and acquired an 11n USB adapter which was supposed to be compatible with my OS - 64 bit Win 7. It wasn't !  I had to wait six months before the manufacturer released Win 7 drivers that would work.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users