Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PS/2 mouse non detected

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Barnack

Barnack

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:19 AM

Hi guys,

i'll go directly to the problem:

I'm using ASUS ROG motherboard, Crosshair V formula-z. After the many solved problems with my new computer, a new one came.

I don't know why, but my old PS/2 mouse is no longer detected, so i'm using a new usb one. I'd like to use my old mouse, but i really can't make it work. I tryed rebooting with the usb one disconnected, but nothing. I rebooted with no mouse, and then rebooted a second time with the old one, again nothing. Its quite strange, because before that happened i could even have both mouses working at the same time.

Mouse's lights are on while computer boot, on when i'm in bios setup page; but in bios setup the old mouse doesn't work, even if lights are on. Then when Windows starts even the lights turn off.

When i start DOS from usb (Free-DOS) lights are on, but i can't test if it works in DOS (for obvious reasons)

EDIT:

It's an old Olidata mouse, bought together with a computer, monitor and speakers. I don't think its an age problem, because speakers still work fine, and the computer does as well (obviously its slower than the one i'm using now, u know, 8-core vs 1-core :wink: )

It has 15 years, or 16 btw

Edited by Barnack, 07 April 2015 - 11:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,427 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:55 AM

What happened after you tried a different PS/2 mouse?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 Barnack

Barnack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:01 PM

...well... i've not a different PS/2 mouse. And i don't know someone who has

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,427 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:05 PM

Keeping the receipt and packaging "looking good" of a 2nd PS/2 mouse , test with this 2nd PS/2 mouse.  If it makes no difference, the regular BC gurus probably have ideas on mobo's PS/2-port hardware testing w/special utilities.

Edited by RolandJS, 07 April 2015 - 02:22 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:14 PM

You can use a live linux distro like Puppy. I like version 5.2.8. Burn the puppy disk and boot to the desktop. If your mouse works you know it's a Windows problem, if not then it would either be your computer or the mouse itself. If you can locate another computer with a ps/2 port try the mouse and if does not work then you know the mouse is bad and not your computer.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,427 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for the reminder JohnC!  Booting up Linux  :)  Also, OP can boot up any Windows OEM or MS dvd and see if he can click on a couple of things in the first two menus.  If no mouseworks, we are still left with hardware mobo or hardware mouse.  Finally, your idea of taking the mouse elsewhere should nail it.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:05 PM

Any chance there is a setting in the bios?

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users