Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Power Supply Short?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kircher2015

Kircher2015

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:34 AM

Alright guys heres the symptoms. I'm pretty sure its the power supply, but I want some more opinions before I go buying another one. So here we go:

It happened while i was pulling the plug out of the back of the tower as i was wiggling it free the Post buzzer started sounded a continuous tone right before the connection was broken. So i plugged it back in and when it went to turn on not even a second after everything started to power on the tone went off and just keeps sounding until i unplug it. After researching some POST codes i found that it can be either 1) No Power 2) Loose Card 3) Short. So, Let's start of by saying nothing is loose, check that, the computer worked fine before i know something happened around the plug. No Power? I dont think so unless something on the MOBO itself isnt getting powered now, but everything else (the fans, both on the MOBO, and in the power supply itself, and power LED's ) are functioning. So im left with thinking something shorting and preventing the bios? from booting? Nothing gets displayed on the monitor. 

I've had the everything out and even opened the PSU just to look and see if anything looked burnt or broken and everything seems to be fine. And nothing even seems to be able to be pulled or broken that easily from wiggling the plug around. ( i did it just to see if something touched something else or broke etc. Any Ideas?

Computer:

Acer Aspire Xc603g-UW14 (CHEAPO!!) lol

HDD 1: 500GB \ Windows 8.1 64-bit

HDD 2: 1TB \ Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

4GB Ram

The Power Supply is a Lite-On ps-5221-9ab

That's about it, what do you guys think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:04 AM

Is it a 220 watt?

Was the system powered on when you removed the cable?

Are you using a surge protector or other form of protection? Are you using a UPS?

You say the system is operating fine now?

#3 Kircher2015

Kircher2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:28 AM

Yes it is 220W. The Computer was on when i pulled the plug, that's when the sound started right before the connection was broken, like a split second. So i plugged it back in and when i do that all fans and leds turn on but not even a second after the buzzer goes off and doesn't boot. No the plug was plugged into the wall. No ups. And no it doesn't boot. Which is what confuses me because the power supply is obviously functioning and powering the fans and leds. I unplugged all drives, unseated and re-seated the ram just to try and deduce where the problem might lie but it just does the same thing. So it has to be somewhere between the plug to the PSU, and from the PSU to the MOBO somewhere. I've had the board out to look for burns also and nothing. Same with the PSU board as well.

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:22 PM

Ok it can be very damaging to unplug a PC while it is in operation.

I will say that is a very small PSU you have for such a system.

This is the typical retail spec for that system:

• Intel Celeron J1900 Quad-Core processor 2.0GHz
  • 4GB DDR3
  • 500GB SATA hard drive

So I can only assume you've added the 1 TB HDD. The additional HDD may be pushing the PSU past the limit of optimal operation.

Try unplugging one of the HDDs and boot the system with only one attached.

#5 Kircher2015

Kircher2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:01 PM

Would it matter that I unplugged everything and the noise still sounded?

#6 Kircher2015

Kircher2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:08 PM

Everything was fine for quite some time, never had a problem. It was just that one time. It felt like i tweaked something when i wiggled the plug, like it was my fault. But i couldn't find where i could of damaged anything, or caused anything to touch and short out. But anyway, I tried what you sad to try and same thing. But what your are also saying is that i should get a better PSU anyway. 

Edited by Kircher2015, 07 April 2015 - 03:10 PM.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:25 PM

Unplugging anything while it is powered on is never good for any device.  Tjis sure could have faulted the power supply, it actually did its job of protecting the components.  Whether this may have damged anything else connected to it will only show once the PS is replaced with a known good one, something that is at least 300 watts.  220 watts is not adequate for the system as you described it.

#8 Kircher2015

Kircher2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:53 PM

Alright, I'll have to just get another one, hopefully thats all that happened. I just wanted to know what could of happened I know its not good to pull the plug, but that has never been a problem the thousands literally thousands of times ive done it. Thanks for the replies guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users