Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Fan speed @ 100% regardless of temps

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 designedsilence

designedsilence

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:38 AM

I have been having an issue for the past few days where my CPU Fan spins mostly at 2800 RPM then will sometimes drop as low as 0 for a couple seconds then back up to 2800.. Immediately when I turn on my PC it spins to 2800 RPM..I have a Scythe Ninja 3 fan and Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard.. Could this be anything software related or is the fan about to die?

I also noticed that Fan Xpert in AI Suite is registering my Fan RPMS at ~2800 with 20% fan power all the way up to 100%. 2800 RPM for all power levels & the index temps in HW Monitor are showing some unusually high readings that appear to be false.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/psnuknj4oz4sl0e/temp.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dw0df06dtdhd3rh/fan.png?dl=0

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7 Processor Count: 4 RAM: 8167 Mb Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570, 1280 Mb Hard Drives: C: Total - 114370 MB, Free - 42412 MB; D: Total - 238472 MB, Free - 37756 MB; E: Total - 476936 MB, Free - 31589 MB; Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 Antivirus: Avira Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:23 AM

For my desktop, I set my fan[s] for maximum speed nonstop.  Makes noise, however, any potential heat issue is pretty much prevented.  I have SpeedFan monitoring, just in case.

Edited by RolandJS, 07 April 2015 - 10:24 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:56 AM

It's possible the fan is failing I think.  Other than that you may have to check your BIOS that "Smart Fan Control", "AI Fan Control" or whatever it is called on your particular PC is enabled and active on the CPU fan.  However I should think the Asus Fan Xpert software you use should be able to set this from within Windows anyway, without having to change the BIOS.

The Ninja 3 cooler uses a standard 120mm fan, and you would need a PWM compatible fan to enable speed control.  You can replace the fan without having to change the cooler.  120mm PWM fans are relatively cheap, e.g. Amazon search for 120mm PWM fan

It would also be a good idea to remove dust from your heatsink and any air vents in the computer.  Compressed air is good for this.

Edited by jonuk76, 09 April 2015 - 06:58 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,760 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:53 AM

What about a faulty sensor?

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#5 designedsilence

designedsilence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:35 AM

It's possible the fan is failing I think.  Other than that you may have to check your BIOS that "Smart Fan Control", "AI Fan Control" or whatever it is called on your particular PC is enabled and active on the CPU fan.  However I should think the Asus Fan Xpert software you use should be able to set this from within Windows anyway, without having to change the BIOS.

The Ninja 3 cooler uses a standard 120mm fan, and you would need a PWM compatible fan to enable speed control.  You can replace the fan without having to change the cooler.  120mm PWM fans are relatively cheap, e.g. Amazon search for 120mm PWM fan

It would also be a good idea to remove dust from your heatsink and any air vents in the computer.  Compressed air is good for this.

I am somewhat concerned that the motherboard or a sensor may be the issue because when I load up the Asus fan utility Fan Xpert it actaully thinks my fan is running at 20% @ 2800 RPM in fact it states every power level 20%-100% is 2800 RPM. Could this still just be the fan?

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:42 AM

The RPM sensor is in the fan motor itself.  The motherboard simply reads the output from it (it's a pulsed voltage which changes frequency with the RPM of the fan).  It's possible I guess that something on the motherboard is wrong, but far cheaper and easier to deal with a bad fan than a bad motherboard.

You could possibly hook up the fan to another motherboard header and see if the problem moves, depending on how many fan headers and fans etc you have in your PC.

Edited by jonuk76, 09 April 2015 - 09:44 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,760 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:53 AM

Does it not have a CPU fan sensor?

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users