Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help! Just deleted my entire documents!!!!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:53 AM

I was cleaning my computer and by mistake thought I was deleting a backup copy of "my documents" folder, but it turned out it was a shortcut to the original and only copy. It said the files were too many or too big to go to the recycling bin and I clicked ok... Please please please someone tell me there is a way to recover this?????? I have 1000s of files that are beyond important to me.

Someone please help I am literally having a panic attack right now.....

Edited by noz03, 07 April 2015 - 08:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shival

shival

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:03 AM

Dont worry, its rather easy. You see, when you "delete" files on your computer, you dont actually delete them. You only mark them as free space, but in reality, they still are on your hdd. There are special programs for file recovery, just google and use the whatever free soft you like.

#3 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:05 AM

Dont worry, its rather easy. You see, when you "delete" files on your computer, you dont actually delete them. You only mark them as free space, but in reality, they still are on your hdd. There are special programs for file recovery, just google and use the whatever free soft you like.

Thank you. I heard about software like this and tried one a few years ago although it was only for photos and if I remember it didn't recover file names and other information.

Is there any of these softwares which you can recommend for my task? It is around 10gb with maybe 5,000 files.

#4 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:17 AM

try this:        http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitool-power-data-recovery-free/

or:        https://www.piriform.com/recuva 

preferably : https://www.piriform.com/recuva/features/portable-version , recuva's portable version

You must not do any modifications further untill the files are recovered...

And keep in mind, recovery is not 100% guranteed by any tools

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 07 April 2015 - 08:19 AM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#5 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:35 AM

Ok so I am using recuva portable from a pen drive I set up on my desktop to avoid any HD writes on my laptop. I told it the location of the folder where I deleted the files from but should I use the deep scan or is it not needed as the files were only deleted 20 minutes ago? I don't want it to dig up files from years back and make a mess of the folder if possible. Also I read online I should recover to a new location, is that also true or can it just put them back where they were 20 minutes ago?

Thanks everyone who is helping, I hope all will be fine after using this software..

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,828 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:39 AM

Never recover files back to the drive you are trying to recover them from. You will lose your data for sure doing that.

Edit: If you do not have an external drive to recover them to then you will need to recover them a few at time to your flash drive and them copy them to another computer. If you are comfortable removing the drive, you can attach it to another computer and use Recuva or one of the other programs mentioned, installed on the other computer, to recover the data.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 April 2015 - 08:43 AM.

#7 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:44 AM

Never recover files back to the drive you are trying to recover them from. You will lose your data for sure doing that.

Edit: If you do not have an external drive to recover them to then you will need to recover them a few at time to your flash drive and them copy them to another computer. If you are comfortable removing the drive, you can attach it to another computer and use Recuva or one of the other programs mentioned, installed on the other computer, to recover the data.

Ok! Glad I asked then... And how about deep scan? Should I do this also? Or anything else specific I should do to make sure I get all my data back. I just hope it will organize the folders again... I had maybe 50 folders organized with dates of photos and stuff :(

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,828 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:53 AM

You should start with a regular scan first which will be faster. If nothing was overwritten, you should be able to see your files. I am not familiar with Recuva. You will get a list of files it finds along with the condition. You will have to open each file to determine what it is and then rename them as you will be getting generic names with the correct extension. After doing a standard scan you do not see all of your files, then do a deep scan.

You may need to go to a paid software like Nikhil_CV mentioned. It will let you recover up to 1GB of files for free. But, I am not sure there is a portable version of that. I would disconnect your computer from the internet also. The more you are using it the more data gets written to the drive. Hopefully you are posting form a computer other than the one you are trying to retrieve data from. If you are stop and use another computer to post your messages to this forum.

#9 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:04 AM

Well I have run the basic scan and it seems to be finding a lot, I think it is also finding files that were deleted months ago though, is there any way to avoid this? I think if I do a deep scan it will find even more files from years ago for all I know... I also would like to to restore the folder structure and is giving me several options for that, basically 1 pass, 3 passes, 7 passes or 35 passes. Anyone know which I should choose? I feel like I only have one shot at this so I don't want to make any mistakes. I also don't want the computer to spend 4 days scanning, it's not the fastest machine... :/

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,828 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:12 AM

Using this kind of software, it cannot be used to recover files from a certain date as far as I know. There is a program called PhotoRec that will recover only the file extensions you wish to recover using File Options in it's settings. The learning curve on it is higher but it will give you generic names and it will not let you recover files only from certain dates.

Try the one pass first. Look for files marked green. The longer a file has been deleted the more chance there is it will be marked red or unrecoverable.I doubt you would be able to recover any file that has been deleted months ago.

#11 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:29 AM

It has been a while, I have tested recuva..

but those passes remembers me the file overwriting times.

Even if very old files are listed, its your choice to recover it (provided its marked GREEN)

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#12 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:32 AM

It has been a while, I have tested recuva..

but those passes remembers me the file overwriting times.

Even if very old files are listed, its your choice to recover it (provided its marked GREEN)

The problem is there are literally 1000s of files in dozens of folders. I can't really just pick which ones I want :(

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,828 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:38 AM

You can check the box next to the file you want and then press the Recover Button. If all files are checked, click the top most box to uncheck all and then pick the ones to want.

scaninalistview.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 April 2015 - 09:38 AM.

#14 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:54 AM

John I don't think you understood. I deleted the whole "My documents" folder with thousands of files in it, and I want to recover the whole folder with all the files. I basically want to undo the delete and make everything how it was before my huge mistake, or as close as possible to that :(

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,828 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:10 AM

I do not know of any software that will do that once files are deleted and not in the recycle bin. See if the following works. But, doing this may keep you from recovering files that were deleted. Open Computer > Users > Your Name. Right Click My Documents > Restore Previous Versions. It will scan for previous versions. Look at the dates. Pick the closest date to deletion and double click it. You should see files listed. You can copy and paste the files to your USB flash drive. I believe using the Restore Button will bring back all files but copy and paste would be the safest option because you would not be writing files back to the hard drive, preventing you from recovering files with Recuva.

I will be out for a couple of hours.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 April 2015 - 10:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users