Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Text/graphic render/anti-alias problem after Win 7 updates

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Prisca81

Prisca81

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:02 AM

I've got a 17" laptop from Multicom (Norway), which is for the most part MSI components. It also has the MSI look.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M --- I've got the latest driver (347.88)

Intel i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2,4Ghz

16 gb ram

Windows 7 Home Premium Sp1 64 bit

It was either Thursday or Friday April 3rd these problems started, at exactly 6.30 pm which was about the time I installed some windows updates. Since I bought this April last year I've never encountered any problems, always installed all Win 7 updates (which I know sometimes can be problematic from earlier experience on other laptops).

I've been going back on forth the last days, googling trying to figure out how to fix it. At first I thought it was the Graphics driver as after googling people sometimes had blurry text/graphic. However in my case it's much more subtle (less visible but still annoying and hard for my eyes to use the laptop). 

The text seems not anti-aliased, both in chrome, windows explorer, control panel (and everywhere else in windows) and during game play. So it's not a Chrome thing. I first tried system restore, which annoyingly does NOT work, even not in safe mode, also uninstalled anti virus, didn't work then either. This problem happened exactly at 6.30 pm, which was about the time I installed windows updates (a batch I think, that probably came out 1-2 April? or perhaps it was just a few updates, I cannot recall Im afraid).

Still, I tried uninstalling graphics driver, reboot, install an older version. Still same problem. So it has to be the windows updates, right? As it was that I installed at the time, the graphcis driver came out in March, and all was working fine until now.

Somehow the last installed updates does not show in my log (no updates after april show there, is that cause I tried system restore and it failed?). Weirdly enough I found one of the updates, KB3035583. I uninstalled this, but still same problem with blurred text.

I've been spending hours/days googling, and I find no other people that has trouble with the latest windows update(s) and text render/aa (blur). It's very difficult to explain, so I've got two pictures uploaded, one before and one after. They are taken from my bookmarks bar in Chrome to best show you the problem that is allover windows and during game play. In games the text is also bad, like it's not sharp or anti aliased. If I zoom in in Chrome or windows explorer I can see the text is blurry/fuzzy and not smooth (it seems pixelated abit, but not much). This is very difficult for my eyes to work with. And because of that I've been googling mostly on my iPad. I also played around with directwrite enabled/disabled, and when activated its worse in Chrome. But this is a Windows thing.

The last thing I want to do is clean install. But if I have no other choice.. However as I'm not sure which Windows update causes this problem, I will maybe encounter same problem again.

During my googling after similar problems I found lots of people struggling with blurry/fuzzy text or bad aa. However in those cases it's more visible. So I do hope you guys can help/advice, and also see what I mean with the attached pictures.

The text is simply not sharp. I've tried with cleartype off (makes it all worse), and offcourse font edge smoothing is enabled, when off its much worse. I've also uploaded a zoomed in page (in Chrome) to show how the text looks, it does not seem antialiased. Also in all of windows the text is blurred/almost like floating and difficult to look at).

Pls download the two boomark bar pics and open both, switch back and forth between them and you will see the problem sharply (did that on purpose there) wink.png

Any help or advice is MUCH apreciated. I hope I've explained as well as I can. I'm at a loss here :/

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Prisca81

Prisca81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:14 AM

Tried all the things I could try, also clean install. Still problem remains. Shame as it's just one year old!

I just ordered myself a new laptop..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users