Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC powers on but won't boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 greenriver

greenriver

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:38 AM

I recently discovered that my PC, which runs Windows XP, is no longer booting properly.

When I switch it on the fans of the power supply, motherboard and rear of the case all run but no vision is sent to the monitor and no lights are present on the motherboard or at the rear ethernet port. The usual single beep from the motherboard is no longer present and the internal hard drives don't sound like they're doing anything. The power and reset buttons on the front of the case are now no longer able to turn the PC off.

I've checked the internal connections for any loose ones but haven't had any success. I also tried removing the memory chips from the motherboard one at a time and then both at once as a way to check if the motherboard or memory is at fault. The PC had the same response with each of the memory chips running on their own and there was no error beep made by the motherboard when the computer was booted without any memory attached.

From what I can tell I might be in need of a new motherboard. But any advice would be appreciated!

Edited by hamluis, 07 April 2015 - 09:47 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluiss.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:11 AM

Fans turning but no other signs of life usually indicate a dead motherboard or CPU.

You can take a flashlight and do an inspection of the motherboard. Look for swollen, leaking, or blown capacitors (look like batteries) as well as any corrosion or debris on the board.

Edited by Netghost56, 07 April 2015 - 11:12 AM.

#3 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:35 AM

Hello there,

I agree with Netghost, however you could still try few other steps to determine whether its the motherboard's fault or not. 

The first thing that might be causing this is your memory card (RAM). Try to remove it and place it in another memory slot on the motherboard.

To be sure if your motherboard is still in good working condition, remove the memory card and power on the PC. You should hear continuous beep sounds.

If you hear this then your motherboard is fine. If placing the memory card in another slot does not work then the problem lies with the memory card itself. You will need to replace it.

Try these steps and let us know.

Hope this helps! 

Edited by masterthemachines, 09 April 2015 - 08:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users