Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

At what stage after I boot should the keyboard and mouse start?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Graphicool1

Graphicool1

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:59 AM

The heading say's it guys...

At what stage after I boot should the keyboard and mouse start? When I switch on my PC I get this screen...

AMERICAN MEGATRENDS

AMIBIOS © 2011 American Megatrtends Inc.

ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3 ACPI BIOS Revision 4501

CPU: Intel ® Core ™ i7-2600K

CPU @ 3.40GHz SPEED: 3400MHz

Total Memory: 16384MB (DDR3-1333)

USB Devices Total: 0 Drive, 0 Keyboard, 0 Mouse, 5 Hubs

Detected ATA/ATAPI Devices...

SATA3G_1: WDC WD5000AAKX-001CA0

SATA3G_2: WDC WD10EZEX-08RKKA0

SATAG_3: ATAPI iHAS5224 B

NO Keyboard Detected

Press F1 to run SETUP     

How am I supposed to do this, if there is no keyboard detected? 

My keyboard and mouse don't kick in until just after I see the 'Starting Windows (animated flag screen)'. Which isn't much good, if I want to enter the BIOS!

Edited by Graphicool1, 07 April 2015 - 06:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:00 AM

If your keyboard is connected via usb switch to the ps2 port (do this when the system is OFF) and boot. Enter the bios and look for a setting that says "usb at boot" or something similar. Enable that option, save the change and reboot. Shut down the system and switch the keyboard back to usb (or, if you prefer, you can leave it connected to the ps2 port)

#3 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:14 AM

Hi Allan

So what you are saying is that I should buy a USB to PS2 Port adapter?

Edited by Graphicool1, 07 April 2015 - 07:17 AM.

#4 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:58 AM

If you can't reach the BIOS settings, no other way....

Its because BIOS searches for keyboard at ps/2 port during POST... An outdated procedure in this modern world.... :(

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#5 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:17 AM

Oh well, if that's the only way, so be it. I've sent for one on Ebay, it was less than a pound (£) including post.

Although the thing is, I've had this PC for about 3 years and the keyboard has always been connected via USB. So why now is it looking for the keyboard at the PS2 Port?

Edited by Graphicool1, 07 April 2015 - 09:22 AM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:00 AM

Are you saying this never happened before or is it possible you simply never noticed it? If you're sure it's a new problem, try a different usb port

#7 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:03 AM

That's correct, it's only been doing this for about 3 weeks. I have tried other USB ports.

Edited by Graphicool1, 07 April 2015 - 10:05 AM.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:10 AM

It's possible the battery on your motherboard needs to be replaced. Try that. But even if that's the cause you may still need the adapter to get into bios and make that one change if the bios has been reset due to a failed battery.

Edited by Allan, 07 April 2015 - 10:11 AM.

#9 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:57 AM

I changed the battery this last weekend, because I noticed that the clock was wrong.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:38 AM

Then that's the problem. The bios was reset to default because of the dead battery. You'll need to get the adapter, enter bios, and make the change to the usb on boot setting.

#11 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:34 AM

What do you mean, when you say...

"Then that's the problem" ?

I've already told you that I've been having this problem for around 3 weeks?

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:37 AM

Here's what it sounds like to me: At some point when your battery was dying and the power was off to the system your bios reset to default. That certainly could have been 3 weeks ago. But either you didn't notice the system time was wrong until recently or the system time wasn't affected until recently. Either way, you now need to go into bios and make that change. Is it possible I'm mistaken? Sure - nothing is 100% and I don't have your computer in front of me. But based on everything you've said I'm fairly comfortable that I'm correct.

#13 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:17 AM

OK then, if that's the case, if it had happened plus 6 months ago? Would or could it have caused this...

As of about 6 months ago in the morning, when I turned on my PC sometimes the monitor would say...'No Signal Detected' and then the monitor would go on stand by. The only way I could/can get it to start is to unplug the monitor from my...NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost Graphics Card and instead plug the monitor into the onboard, integrated Intel Graphics Card. Then it will start almost like normal.

I posted the problem on here and there were many suggestions as to the cause and equally as many suggestions to fix it. I tried the fixes, but to no avail. It's still the same.

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:30 AM

No, that is a signal issue between your display and the display adapter. Could be a bad card, bad cable, bad display, etc. It would not be related to the mobo battery.

#15 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:17 AM

Fair enough. One of the suggestions was to get another GPU, but I haven't done it yet. The reason being, it would cost more than I can afford at present.

Hopefully tomorrow the USB to PS2 Port will arrive and all will be crystal. I'll let you know then.

Edited by Graphicool1, 08 April 2015 - 10:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users