Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alvanorichie

alvanorichie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:09 AM

Hello world,

how r u? i`m newbie, and i want to know will my laptop be able to run Windows 10 smoothly? I have an old Dell Inspiron 1440 with specifications as follows- 
Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 @2.20Ghz
Ram: 3.00GB
Intel GM45 Inbuilt graphics chipset
I am currently using Windows 7 64bit and I want to try the new Windows 10.

Any suggestion please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:40 AM

Hi alvanorichie :)

Your laptop specs passes the system requirements for Windows 10, linked below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-faq-system-requirements-pc

However, be aware that Windows 10 is still a Technical Preview (kind like a beta), which means that at times it can still be highly unstable and some of the programs you use daily might not be compatible with it. Windows 10 TP should only be installed and used by users who knows their way around Windows and are able to troubleshoot their own issues without always relying on the help of someone else. If you're not comfortable with this, I suggest you to wait until the official release of Windows 10 which is sometime this summer.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:25 AM

Richie,

Short answer, YES.  However...  DO NOT overwrite your Windows 7 w/ the beta Builds of Windows 10.  Once the GA is released THEN my suggestion is (you did ask for suggestions ;)) take the opportunity to Upgrade your laptop to Win10 for FREE.  In the meantime... if you want to check out Windows 10 Previews here is how:
1. Run it as a virtual machine
2. Run it as a dual-boot

3. Create a VHD & install it on that.

For #1 you will need to 1st install Microsoft VPC, using that to create the VM.  For #2 you need an available drive or partition which, is unlikely to exist in your laptop.  #3 is a good method; HERE are the instructions for that... just substitute Win10 when it mentions Windows 8.

Cheers,
Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 09 April 2015 - 01:27 AM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:23 AM

You can also use VirtalBox (free) or VMWare Player (free) to create a Windows 10 (or any other OS) VM if you want to do that alvanorichie.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:41 AM

Having used (those) various virtual softwares... certainly, aware of the others.  For the sake of keeping things simple for a person had mentioned (recommended) just the one that I have come to prefer & it plays very nicely w/ Windows, as things from w/in the same 'family' often do.

Cheers,
Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 09 April 2015 - 09:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users