Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ghost Icon/Empty folder

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:48 AM

A ? Please...

I have an icon/folder on my desktop that I cannot get rid of. Cannot move, delete, rename or drag to recycle bin. I have searched to no avail. it`s properties show no used bytes. Location C:\Users\J***\Desktop. It was only a christian image that I posted on Facebook. I have tried safe-mode,reboot, start/search,  Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. I run a tidy ship and sure would like it GONE...:)...Thanks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:02 AM

Have you tried deleting the "file" from C:\Users\J***\Desktop ? Go to the desktop folder in Windows Explorer and see if you can delete the icon file that way. If not, try Move On Boot (http://emcosoftware.com/move-on-boot)

#3 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:19 AM

Thanks for your reply...Yes, I went to ..."C:\Users\J***\Desktop"...,,It is not there. Also tried move, rename, reboot...Will try your posted link...Thanks for your help...Jim

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:27 AM

Along with the idea from Allan :

This may now be a Temporary Unwanted, and never fully removed file .....

Empty your temp folders using TFC (Temporary File Cleaner)

• Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
  • Alternate download link
  • Save any unsaved work. (TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!)
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. (If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose "Run As Administrator".)
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • If TFC prompts you to reboot, do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway allowing Windows to load normally to ensure a complete clean.

If all else fails ...........

Run System File Check from an Elevated Command Prompt
  1. Open Elevated Command Prompt as per directions
  2. Type sfc /scannow and press Enter (note the space between c and / it must be there)
  3. (On average).This should not take longer than 20 minutes to finish
  4. NOTE : Do not touch the keyboard while this is running

#5 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:39 AM

Thanks,,,Tried Emco/moveto/delete...Np luck,,,Will be trying next suggestion....Thanks...Jim

#6 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:49 AM

Temp cleaner,,,no luck,,,gonna try next suggestion...sfc /scannow...thanks...

#7 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:03 AM

Tried all of the above...pesky little devil is still there....Thanks...

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:28 AM

Try Unlocker or FileAssassin. Watch for any optional programs Unlocker may want to install.

Edit: If you type the following at an elevated command prompt do you see the folder listed

CD C:\Users\yourname\desktop  <enter>
dir *.    <enter>

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 April 2015 - 11:34 AM.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:41 AM

If none of the above work, take a look at the last page of this thread and see if anything here helps: http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/62094-cant-delete-icon-desktop-3.html

#10 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:17 PM

File shredder could not find nor delete it either...Plumb crazy...There`s got to be a way to get rid of it short of reformat...Ugg   Thanks to all...Jim...!

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:14 PM

Do you see the folder name using the commands I posted?

#12 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:27 PM

no sir.do not see it anywhere but icon on desktop.....The thing does not exist..LOL   But it still is camped on my desktop...I just ran Spybot and avast virus scan and also tried to drag/cut copy/paste in file shredder...Same deal...( nof file located)....Thanks....Jim

#13 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:40 PM

Just says it does not exist...

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:58 PM

Download the Puppy linux iso. tahr-6.0.2_PAE.iso Burn the iso to disk by right clicking in Windows 7 and selecting burn disk imge.Boot the disk and at the desktop you will see your hard drive in the lower left corner labeled sda with a number suffix. These are the partitions. For Windows 7 your Windows partition will most likely be sda2. Click on the hard drive icon once and the file manager will open showing your Windows partition. If you do no see your Windows files, close the File Manager window and click on one of the other sda icons until you see your Windows files.

Browse to Users > your name > desktop. You only need to click once on each folder to open it. After opening the desktop folder look for the folder you are trying to delete. Right click the folder and select delete. Be careful that you have the correct folder as this deletion cannot be undone.

#15 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:23 PM

Did the      "Browse to Users > your name > desktop. You only need to click once on each folder to open it. After opening the desktop folder look for the folder you are trying to delete. Right click the folder and select delete. Be careful that you have the correct folder as this deletion cannot be undone." suggested. Still says ...does not exist. I think I just might have ran into my limitations. I will see if I can understand your other suggestion....Thanks...Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users