Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ok, Complete NOOB here but not computer illiterate.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lanane

Lanane

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:09 AM

Im 36 and have been on computers since I was 12. 

I did some basic cde, and I mean BASIC the actual language back when I was very young, Probably 13 or so. I remember spending WEEKS promming 4-5 hours a day and the gme took around 5 minutes to get through typing in Y or N answers hahaha. Thats when I decided to play more Kings Quest, Space Quest, of Course Lesire Suit Larry !

Time passed I turned 18, ran internet businesses ... multiplle, for 8 years. I have taken a long break. 

A couple years ago, and on and off in the past I tried PHP but just couldnt grasp it. I have my MCSE and of course Net + and A + from about 5 years ago. But just getting used to W8 and hated Vista so never used it .. 

Anyways, I'm at a point where I want to learn 3 primary things.

1) Boosting max performance and learning ever trick for W8 computers. Ive made some progress there but advanced guides are always welcome. 

2) This is he area I am focusing on RIGHT NOW. I know there are firewalls out there that come stock and you can upgrade for year fees. Zone Alarm and stuff like that, other AV programs that include Firewalls, etc ... 

I am looking for something that will challenge me to learn. This is for a HOME PC right now. If you have links with different levels of difficulty please say ... Starter : XXXXXXXXxx    Intermediate: XXXXXXXXXXX and advanced : XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Looking for windows8 stuff now but feel free to also include linux, please just mark as such. I am planning on installing dual boot OS soon for the same reason I am doing alll this. Any recommendations on best Flavor to use with a GUI ?

3) Last but not least I am interested in learning about more advanced security. Im not talking about TOR, VPN, Proxy, etc ... I'm talking about the type of security master hackers use. Again, I would need newbie, intermediate, and advanced links .. Please not if its only unix.

This isnt because I want to do anything illegal, YET .... lol ... I am just interested in it as a possible start up businesses 

4) I realize there is a lot I don't know, so ... If you have links to ANYTHING you think might help me understand what I need to do to learn about these topic please let me know. Yes, I do understand it takes years to master but I am on disability for health issues and would like to return to work. I may not get paid for this but it would give me a sense of satisfaction about being productive daily at least .. 

So, there you have it. I know I'm asking a lot ! I will sparse threads tomorrow some time to see how many of these questions were answered but it was quite a bit of information so II thought maybe a new thread might hellp. 

You seem like a strong community here. Look forward to learning a lot !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lanane

Lanane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:16 AM

PS One last thing, Im looking to secure multiple computers to the level Edward Snowden would want ... Well bad term, he was traced, but you get it !

The type of fiirewalls, AV, anything else I havent learned about yet the premiere hackers use ... 

Id then like to dabble with some, of coure legal, hacking ... once I have a solid system

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:20 AM

This isnt because I want to do anything illegal, YET

That is not a good start.

You seem to be fixated on what hackers do.

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:33 AM

Hello, and welcome!

Boosting max performance and learning ever trick for W8 computers. Ive made some progress there but advanced guides are always welcome.

You will want to check out Bleeping Computer's Windows 8 tutorials.

2) This is he area I am focusing on RIGHT NOW. I know there are firewalls out there that come stock and you can upgrade for year fees. Zone Alarm and stuff like that, other AV programs that include Firewalls, etc ...

I am looking for something that will challenge me to learn. This is for a HOME PC right now. If you have links with different levels of difficulty please say ... Starter : XXXXXXXXxx Intermediate: XXXXXXXXXXX and advanced : XXXXXXXXXXXXX

I'm not sure what you mean here... Do you mean you want a complicated firewall? (which is not a good idea IMHO)

Looking for windows8 stuff now but feel free to also include linux, please just mark as such. I am planning on installing dual boot OS soon for the same reason I am doing alll this. Any recommendations on best Flavor to use with a GUI ?

Please look through the Linux & Unix section - there are several topics on recommendations of Linux distros. Take a stroll and pick what suits you best.

Last but not least I am interested in learning about more advanced security. Im not talking about TOR, VPN, Proxy, etc ... I'm talking about the type of security master hackers use. Again, I would need newbie, intermediate, and advanced links .. Please not if its only unix.

This isnt because I want to do anything illegal, YET .... lol ... I am just interested in it as a possible start up businesses

Please remember that blackhat hacking is illegal. And the distance from "yet" to *actually* doing it is very thin.

PS One last thing, Im looking to secure multiple computers to the level Edward Snowden would want ... Well bad term, he was traced, but you get it !

The type of fiirewalls, AV, anything else I havent learned about yet the premiere hackers use ...

Id then like to dabble with some, of coure legal, hacking ... once I have a solid system

I've read a quote somewhere saying that "the only truly unhackable computer is one turned off and placed in a box". Nothing is absolute, especially when it comes to security.

Just my opinion on a few things... If you need additional help, let us know.

Regards,
Alex

#5 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:49 AM

Discussion of illegal materials are not allowed in this community.......

And you cannot draw a line to distinguish white and black hats.... It a matter of time and circumstances...

If you have any other doubts, you are always welcome to bring up as well as discuss it in community..

To learn and discuss so called restricted activities, you may need to check out corresponding forums online..... They are somewhat restrictive on what they share to the members..

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#6 Lanane

Lanane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:33 AM

Wow, appreciate the quick replies. Number one I was joking about illegal activities.

This is mainly something I am interested in as I believe it could be a viable business model in my area for people who want intense scrutiny on the personal computers.

As far as my hacking, there are, I'm sure ... Hacking communities that have tests ... Servers setup with the purpose of you trying to hack them. This is where I would like to engage at first. Ultimately being hired by corporations to improve security measures

Alex, yes ... Advanced as basic firewall programs you can download are not very strong. Unless you have the name of a new one ? I want one that gives me the protection of a service like cloudflare, again with anonymity.

For those of you frisking about the anonynymity look at it this way, I like my privacy ... I'd like to learn about security, part of learning about security is protecting your real info. This is just a very small part of my entire project, please don't think it means anything other than what it is. Learning, testing, letting people like hackers try to guess my real ip ....

Alex I agree there will always be better hackers. I am a level 0 .. Should I be saying network security providers to ease everyone's tension? There probably hackers that are around level 100 right now. I'll never be unbeatable, but I enjoy challenges, computing, and I didn't like code so I thought this. Isn't be worth a sho ya know ?

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:44 PM

Are you familiar with IP, TCP and UDP? If not, start to study these network protocols and then move on to firewalls.

Because once you understand networking, it's much easier to understand firewalls.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#8 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:27 AM

I know you said "Please not if its only unix." But...

Whonix_concept_refined.jpg

Maybe you should have a look at Whonix ? I personally think its one of the safest systems...

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users