Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

notebook keeps dropping internet and won't reconnect. Windows troubleshoot tool

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sphynx88

sphynx88

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:45 PM

About every 5 to 10 minutes, my HP pavilion 17 115dx, purchased new 2.5 months ago, will drop the internet.

First it'll say the connection is limited, network tab will not show any networks available to connect to. Then the greyed out WiFi symbol with a red x will show up. Right clicking and hitting troubleshoot will solve this issue once the step of resetting the network card is done.

I'll then be able to reconnect and use the internet until it goes out 5-10 minutes later. I've tried downloading a new realtek driver and also rolling back. Problem has existed for 2 weeks.

System restore has failed every time I've tried, which might be a different problem.

Ill try reinstalling windows if I can't fix by the weekend.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:31 PM

You might also consider a hardware problem with the NIC

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,663 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:38 PM

Try the steps shown here. Pay special attention to step 4.

#4 sphynx88

sphynx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:26 PM

Thanks JohnC, worked through each one and rebooted. Still did it. 

I did a clean install of windows and it's still dropping. Thinking it might be a hardware issue as Dick mentioned. Any thing else I might try?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,663 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:41 PM

Right click the wireless adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line shown.Is this windows 8 or 8.1? Did you download the latest Realtek driver from the Realtek site?

#6 sphynx88

sphynx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:44 PM

Windows 8.1. I have installed the latest driver, but also tried rolling back once that didn't work. SInce I am running a fresh install, I am unsure if it kept the one I updated via the HP website. 

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8179&SUBSYS_197D103C&REV_01

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:00 PM

I'm a firm believer in getting my drivers from the source. I do use a program to monitor things and tell me when I'm out of date but, I get the update from the source. Bits are very small and the loss of even one can cause corruption problems.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,663 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:01 PM

I have read that this Realtek chip (RTL8188e) has problems with Windows 8.1. I could not find a driver for this chipset on the Realtek site either. I also went to your computer's support site and could not find a Realtek wireless driver for the computer so I have to assume it may be using a native Windows driver. The only wireless drivers shown for your computer was broadcom and intel. The only driver I could find for a download was from levono, and people had issues with it too.

I can't do anything else except to recommend you try one of these. If you do decide to purchase make sure you disable (not uninstall) the current wireless adapter in Device Manager.

http://www.edimax.com/edimax/merchandise/merchandise_detail/data/edimax/global/wireless_adapters_n150/ew-7811un

#9 sphynx88

sphynx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:13 AM

I have read that this Realtek chip (RTL8188e) has problems with Windows 8.1. I could not find a driver for this chipset on the Realtek site either. I also went to your computer's support site and could not find a Realtek wireless driver for the computer so I have to assume it may be using a native Windows driver. The only wireless drivers shown for your computer was broadcom and intel. The only driver I could find for a download was from levono, and people had issues with it too.

I can't do anything else except to recommend you try one of these. If you do decide to purchase make sure you disable (not uninstall) the current wireless adapter in Device Manager.

http://www.edimax.com/edimax/merchandise/merchandise_detail/data/edimax/global/wireless_adapters_n150/ew-7811un

Awesome, USB wifi for 10$ is an easy enough fix.

I did do a little more digging online. Going into Device Manager>Right Clicking on the RTL8188EE device>Properties>Advanced and then Wireless Mode (I think?). There, is an option for Auto, b/g or just g. Taking it off of Auto and selecting just b/g may have fixed it. I used my computer for several hours last night without it dropping. 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,663 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:16 AM

That was some nice troubleshooting. I will have to remember that fix. Hope it sticks.

#11 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:07 PM

Also making notes. Thanks for posting back with your work AND your results

We'll be here when you need us. Til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick