Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Advice! Upgrade GPU + possible CPU & PSU. Need technical help /w Dell 531S

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Magoo45

Magoo45

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:52 PM

Newish member here seeking advice. I posted before in the virus/malware removal section, but I decided to reformat and reinstall windows. Thanks to anyone who looked at that thread, and thanks for deleting it.

I'm here today seeking advice about what I should do about upgrading my system. My main focus is upgrading the GPU, but I'm fairly sure I will need to upgrade my PSU to handle dedicated graphics, because my current PSU is only 250 watts. I have a AMD athlon x2 3000+ cpu, so I wouldn't mind upgrading that as well. I have a very low budget. Basically, the links below are what I am considering purchasing based on the research I've done, and of course price. I have a Dell 531s (Slim model) so I don't want to invest much money into improving it. I really don't want to spend more than $100. I don't mind using refurbished parts or used parts as long as the vendors offer a return / exchage policy.

Please give me any advice you have, and please ask any questions about what information you need from me to better inform me. My main goal is to find a nice balance between having an effective pc which can run most games, and not spending a lot of money. (Otherwise, I would just buy a new pc. :busy: )

Some questions:

Can my PSU be to big? Will a 420 watt PSU be to much juice for what I need? Is there any harmful effects of having an oversized PSU?

Will I see a noticeable difference between 512MB GPU and a 1GB GPU, or is faster memory (DDR3 compared to DDR2) the main variable in deciding a good graphic card.

On the same note, Will I see a noticeable difference between the 5600+ AMD cpu and the 6000+ AMD CPU? The 5800+ and the 6000+ cpu both have 3GHz, what is the difference between the two?

Sorry for all the questions, and the long thread. I just want to make sure I understand as much as I can, and would like to be very clear for all of you to help you help me.

All the links below link to ebay. If you know of a reputuble vendor with better prices, and a good return policy, please provide that information for me. Please remember I have the slim case so the GPU must be low profile.

3 GPU I'm considering:

SAPHIRE ATI RADEON HD 4650

ATI Radeon HD6570 1GB HDMI VGA Port Half-Height Low Profile Video Card

XFX AMD Radeon HD 5450 1GB GDDR3 ON-XFX1-PLS2 Low Profile PCI-Express Video Card

2 CPU I'm considering:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.8 GHz

AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3.0GHz

PSU I'm considering:

TFX0250D5W / Dell Inspiron 530s 531s Replace Power Supply Upgrade 420w NEW

Am I forgetting anything? (God, I hope not) Will I need to buy a new such and such in order to change my thiggy ma jig before I can even start thinking about upgrading either of these 3 things in my computer? :mellow:

If you can't tell, I'm lost. I've done some research, read pages, linked to hardware, compared specs, and more until it all runs together. I finally realized, I need help. Can you help me, please?

Attached is a modified speccy report. If you want me to post that instead of attach it, just let me know. I will be checking this thread several times a day. I can't wait to hear other peoples opinions and advice.

Attached Files

Edited by Magoo45, 06 April 2015 - 10:35 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:31 AM

If by too large PSU, you mean a wattage far exceeding what you need, then no.  Your power supply will only use as much power as required by the components.  The wattage rating is more of a limit and it is usually a good idea to have a little room between that limit and what the components will actually draw.

When it comes to GPU's, the GPU itself is the main determiner of performance.  A larger amount of VRAM will help if you have an extremely high resolution or use certain forms of anti-aliasing.  Buying a 1GB card is enough for most, with 2GB being ideal for many gamers.

One difference between the Athlon 5800+ and 6000+ is the wattage.  The 5800+ uses 89W, the 6000+ uses 125W.  There are also differences between the manufacturing technology and core architecture (Windsor versus Brisbane).

Before upgrading your CPU, make absolutely sure it is supported by your motherboard.

The Radeon 6570 would be a good choice, though I would go for a slightly more powerful power supply if possible for additional overhead since the GPU requires 400W. 

3939.png

#3 Magoo45

Magoo45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:15 PM

Ok, I think I'm getting the hang of this. Installing ram was way easier. I have several more questions if you or someone will be so kind to basically verify that I won't be wasting money. (Will that GPU fit the #2 PCI-E x16 slot on my motherboard? Do I just need to make sure both the motherboard and CPU say AM2 socket in order for them to be compatible, and finally, How many watts do you think my new PSU needs to be to make these upgrades?)

What size PSU do you think I will need if I upgrade to this AMD Athlon 64 x 2 6000+  (It's 125watts), and this GPU ATI Radeon HD6570 1GB HDMI VGA Port Half-Height Low Profile Video Card It's the same GPU listed above, that you say would be a good choice, This was my favorite of the 3 I listed too.

Will that ATI Radeon HD6570 card work in my pc? Below are the 2 slots that I have available. Will this GPU work in slot #2?(after a new psu)

Slot PCI-E
                    Slot Type    PCI-E
                    Slot Usage    Available
                    Data lanes    x16
                    Slot Designation    PCIEX16
                    Characteristics    5V, PME
                    Slot Number    2

Slot PCI-E
                    Slot Type    PCI-E
                    Slot Usage    Available
                    Data lanes    x1
                    Slot Designation    PCIEX1_1
                    Characteristics    5V, PME
                    Slot Number    3

What size PSU should I buy to be able to install these upgrades in my pc? I have a 250watt psu now, so plus 400 for the GPU, plus 125 for new CPU, and minus 90watts for removing current cpu... and...  685 watt PSU??? I hope my math is wrong. Can I please get you to share some knowledge and time to help figure this out? If I remove my current AMD 3800+ and upgrade to an AMD 6000+ CPU like the one linked above and I install that ATI Radeon HD 6570 linked above, how big will my PSU need to be? 685 watts seems like a lot. I hope I am wrong, and you can shed some light on this for me.

Last questions, I hope, my speccy report says my motherboard supports AM2 socket, and I think the AMD 6000+ is AM2 socket also. So, it should swap over without any problems, or Is there other things I need to worry about? Is there other specs I need to be aware of, or is enough watts + the same socket all I need to know to be sure I can swap the processors.

I just proof read this post, and noticed I asked the same questions a hundred times. Nervous I guess... This will be my first time installing anything besides ram.

Thanks to everyone that doesn't mind reading way to much, and helping me. :clapping:

#4 Magoo45

Magoo45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:33 PM

I can't find a PSU that will fit in this case that has enough watts. I found one that was 485 watts, but it was stupid expensive. I don't know what to do about it now.

Do you think it will work if I installed the 420 watt PSU and the new ATI Radeon HD6570 GPU, and don't upgrade to the AMD 6000+ CPU?

If anyone can find a 600 +/- watt slimline power supply that fits into a dell inspiron 531s, please please contact me or post here. Link me to it, or even point me in a direction where I might be able to search some more. Eyes are tired of looking for this part. Maybe I will log on later to find that someone has saved my day. :thumbsup:

If it comes down to it... I guess I could leave the side off, and have my PSU hanging out of the case. Tacky but functional.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:25 AM

What model motherboard do you have?  You can look up the model on the web to see what processors are permitted.  Your motherboard will only physically take certain processors, but you need to also make sure your motherboard's BIOS allows it.

I think both of those processors are the Windsor models.

For the GPU, the PSU requirements are for the entire system and the card will need to go into the PCI-E X16 slot.  The PSU will need to be above 400W, but I always suggest getting a little more than the bare minimum suggested.  I would go for a 450W or 500W.  You SHOULD be able to run it with a 420W PSU. 

In the future, if you later decide to build a complete PC, I suggest using a standard mid-ATX or full-ATX case to allow for normal, standard-sized components.  This will eliminate the need to special smaller components, like a slimline PSU or low-profile GPU.

3939.png

#6 Magoo45

Magoo45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:33 AM

My motherboard is an Asus M2N61-AX (Dell OEM) with bios version 1.0.13, and an AM2 CPU socket.

I can upgrade up to AMD Athlon 64 x 2 6000+, but I've read that I would need to upgrade my CPU cooler in this 531s case.

I will go with the 5600+, because I haven't seen much about people having problems with overheating when using the OEM CPU cooler.

I've read mixed reviews about the ATI Radeon HD 6570, but I think that is about the best low profile GPU I'm going to find without spending to much.

I'm going to get the 420 watt PSU too.

Now I just need to contact the vendor for the GPU and the PSU to get the exact dimensions of their products to make sure everything will fit. In the end I will have spent $100 for a new GPU, new PSU, CPU upgrade, and 2 more gb of memory.. if everything works. I hope doing all of this will keep this 8 year old PC going strong for a couple more years.

I definitely will get larger case in the future. I also won't be buying another OEM PC. I will probably be visiting again when it comes time to build a new pc.

Thanks for your help.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:55 AM

Here's a thread over at Dell's site as to CPU compatibility.

With slimline models, cooling can be a bit problematic due to the small amount of space for heat dissipation.  In larger cases with standard ATX-sized motherboards, the components are also more spread out with a little better heat dissipation.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users