Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fans running loud all of the sudden

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blwrunner

blwrunner

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:35 PM

I have a ASUS N550JV that's a little over a year old.  Just today I realized that the fans were running extremely loud for no reason.  The only time they get this loud is when I am playing games.  Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:35 PM

Extra heat from intense graphics processing and general data crunching while game playing causes your CPU and/or GPU temperatures to rise. Your fans speed up to help cool down the hot components and make more noise.

#3 blwrunner

blwrunner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:39 PM

Yes, however they are running loud all the time instead of just when I'm gaming.

#4 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:52 AM

Get a can of compressed air and blow out the dust from the intake and exhaust vents. Be careful not to direct the full force of the air directly into the vent as you can end up causing damage to the fan -- blast the canned air on an angle.

To cool it off even more, find something to keep the laptop slightly elevated (1-2" is fine) so that more air can be taken in. I prop my HP laptop up on top of a cookie cooler rack and enjoy a temperature reduction of ~10°-15°C v. placing it directly on a table top.

Obviously don't place the laptop on a bed, couch or pillow as the air intake vents on the bottom of the laptop will be blocked and you'll suffocate the system!

Install Speccy free edition to check temps - https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

Regards. . .

jcgriff2
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#5 blwrunner

blwrunner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:06 PM

Okay thanks!

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:43 AM

Follow jcgriff2 and then here is a guide to post the result back here.

Please post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Full Directions Here (only Copy / Paste the link)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users