Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hack lets users run Linux kernel on Canon EOS DSLRs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:48 PM

Unlimited possibilities : Hack that lets users run Linux kernel on Canon EOS DSLR 60D, 600D, 7D, 5D2 and 5D3 models

Taking beautiful snaps is the only function of Canon EOS cameras but what if you can hack it to run Linux kernel on it. Magic Lantern has done just that.

They have hacked Canon EOS DSLR and run the Linux kernel on it. This was possible because the Canon EOS camera models have a processor (ARM 946E-S) and RAM (256MB/512MB depending on the model.)  The Magic Lantern guys first accessed the Canon EOS bootloader and ported latest Linux kernel (3.19) onto it.

http://www.techworm.net/2015/04/hack-lets-users-run-linux-kernel-on-canon-eos-dslrs.html

Linux can run on anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

Quite nice. :lol:

One of the reasons to buy a Canon has always been the possibility to install the Magic Lantern firmware addon. Kinda cool you can also install Linux now, but from what I read in the thread, they're far away from being able to make a photo happen in linux for now. :lol:

Hi, do you think this hack will allows us to run the same software on EOS DSLR than in Axiom cameras from Apertus, allowing to mutualize code and to have a real functionnal (able to shot) linux-based firmware on EOS DSLR? Since a linux based firmware is currently developped at least for Axioms, is it possible to port it to EOS DSLR? ???

If we'll ever get as far as being able to read buttons and take a picture / record a video, the answer will be probably yes.

Right now, we are not there yet.

Baby steps for now, but in the right direction. :)

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:26 PM

Apparently, you can also run linux on a toaster: https://www.embeddedarm.com/software/arm-netbsd-toaster.php :lol:

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:18 PM

I've never actually had desire for a particular toaster before. Just being able to make toast out of bread has always been good enough, until now.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 12,688 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:07 PM

And just because.

Hackers Successfully Install Linux on a Potato

http://www.bbspot.com/news/2008/12/linux-on-a-potato.html

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:22 PM

:lmao:

#7 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:43 AM

And just because.

Hackers Successfully Install Linux on a Potato
http://www.bbspot.com/news/2008/12/linux-on-a-potato.html

:hysterical:

If I have more space I would dual boot Windows and Linux Mint... but alas, I cannot.

Someday :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users