Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet speeds vary throughout network

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 octo1212

octo1212

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:37 PM

i support a small office that has Comcast internet and it is set to put out at least 75 Mbps download and 15 Mbps upload...when i plug my laptop in various locations throughout the network, the speedtest.net and speedtest.comcast.net speeds vary wildly, but consistently, and i can't figure out why...here is what i mean:

all connections are via ethernet cable and from my own laptop...

1) directly plugged into the cable modem: 85 Mbps down, 16 Mbps up

2) plugged into the router that is plugged directly into the modem: 85 down, 16 up

3) plugged into a managed 24 port Linksys PoE SFE2000P switch (gigabit uplink) that has all of the VoIP phones and computers and other switches connected to it: 40 down, 16 up

4) plugged into an unmanaged 24 port Linksys switch that is uplinked to the previous switch (gigabit uplink) and has a few phones and computers connected to it: 16 down, 16 up

again, the speeds are consistent at the various points i plug in, but always lower than they should be and what the modem is churning out directly...what would cause this?  how do i get full speeds throughout the office?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:59 PM

It is always bad to chain switches serially. The unmanaged switch should be connected to the router not the managed switch.  Does the router support gigabit on its ports?  Might logon to the managed switch and look at the port stats for that link to the router.  It will tell us a lot.

#3 octo1212

octo1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:23 AM

i misspoke...both switches are uplinked directly to the router and the router does support gigabit connections...no switch is linked serially...

i will look at the port stats, but i looked over everything i could and it looks to be all set in a default way, no flow controls or anything...i turned of QoS completely...also, the unmanaged switch is slower (16 down) and it has nothing to login to...

other thoughts?

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:10 AM

Nothing you can do with the unmanaged switch.  Slowness indicates issues, most likely saturation at the switch but you can't see anything with a unmanaged switch. You can pull all the connections but one and run your test adding one back at a time to see if you have someone doing all the talking.

Would be nice to see the port stats on the uplink port of the managed switch.  Might want to review all the port stats for errors and who is doing the largest volume of traffic.

#5 octo1212

octo1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:21 AM

ok...i'll check on that and report back...

i'm also going to hook up another router and switch off of the modem (which is a router, too) and see if they behave the same...

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:47 PM

That is an invalid test.  Router adds a hop and you are making two switches in series.

#7 octo1212

octo1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:20 AM

i'm not clear on what you mean...i assigned a static IP to each router (10.0.0.1), which come off the modem separately and then the switches connect directly to the routers...

i don't think the hops make a difference because i connected the new router (Linksys EA4500) and switch (Netgear JGS524) in this manner and that network has full speeds (85 down, 16 up) from the new router and the new switch...something about the old switches is either limiting bandwidth or something is not quite right...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users