Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Laserjet 2100 just prints a line of jibberish

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Friarbarb

Friarbarb

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:21 PM

I've recently have run into a problem using my HP Laserjet 2100. I went to print a 1 page document and instead the printer printed 4 pages, each with 1 line of jibberish.

I have went to the Device and Printers window and deleted the printer, unplugged it from the USB port and plugged it into the USB port again. Windows installed the drivers, but I still have the same problem.

Also, the go light stays on and the ready light is flashing. If I press the Go button, another page prints with one line of jibberish.

I'm am using Windows 7, 64 bit.

Thanks for any help.

Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,511 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:27 PM

What program created the text file? Or, where from comes the text file?

A few can embed even a text file with hidden-from-user stuff. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:36 PM

Try doing a cold reset.

HP 2100 -to perform a cold reset, turn the printer power off, then press and hold the JOB CANCEL button. Turn the printer power back on and after all the LEDs come on release the JOB CANCEL button. A cold reset changes most system parameters in NVRAM to the factory defaults. The JOB CANCEL button must be released within 20 seconds after all of the LEDs come on; otherwise, an NVRAM initialization is performed instead of a cold reset.

http://www.printertechs.com/printer-troubleshooting/cold-reset-instructions-hp-laserjets

#4 Friarbarb

Friarbarb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 04:00 PM

I did a cold reset..no luck.

It doesn't seem to matter what I print...I get multiple pages with 1 line of jibberish.

There is nothing in the que waiting to be printed and Windows show the Laserjet as my default printer and ready.

Thanks

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 04:13 PM

Try the following. Go to Printers and Devices. Right click the printer and select properties. Under the Advanced tab click Print Processor and instead of RAW select NT EMF 1.006 then Okay. Reboot and see if you can print normally.

#6 Friarbarb

Friarbarb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 04:36 PM

Yay! Changing the Print Processor settings seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for the help.

So, any idea why this worked or if the settings were changed due to some update?

Robert

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 04:41 PM

I am not sure. It could be some corrupted file that was causing the issue. This happens sometimes on Lexmark printers where it will print one page and stop. Using a different print processor usually fixes the issue. You may notice a small slowdown in printing vs using RAW but it shouldn't be a problem.

#8 Friarbarb

Friarbarb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:16 AM

Well, this problem has started again.

The laserjet is attached to my laptop via usb. I don't normally leave the printer on, only powering up when I need to print something and then leaving the printer on unitl I shut down the computer at days end.

When I first power up the printer the ready light shows indicates that the printer is "ready". After a short time, the Ready light flashes and the Go light stays green. This, according to HP:

The Ready light is blinking, and the Go light is on. Data in the printer memory is waiting to be printed. Pressing the GO button prints from Tray 1 or from another tray if Tray 1 is empty and the paper size is supported in the other Tray. Pressing the JOB CANCEL button cancels the current job and the printer returns to ready.

I have tried pressing the JOB CANCEL button, which clears the printer and the Ready light stays green...but for a short time, then goes back to flashing with the Go light staying green.

Also, if I try to print, the printer just prints 4-5 pages with 1 line of jibberish.

Any help appreciated.

Robert

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:41 PM

See if doing a cold reset works.

Clear the printer queue as shown here. After stopping the print spooler press the job cancel button then delete the spooler files as outlined in the guide.

Did the print processor get defaulted back to RAW?

#10 Friarbarb

Friarbarb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:08 PM

Ok..did the Cold Reset again. And, to make sure I did this correctly:

1. I turned off the printer

2. Pressed and held the job cancel button

3. Turnred printer back on

4. The 3 LED lights came on briefly, then went dark right after I released the job cancel button

I cleared the printer queue and followed the guide regarding the print spooler

I checked the print processor and it is still designated as Processor "winprint" with Default Data Type NT EMF 1.006

I tried to print a document and the printer still prints page after page with one line of jibberish. Once I press the Cancel Job button on the printer, the printer stops printing, the Printer Ready light stays green for a short time, then the Go button stays green with the Ready light flashing.

I checked the printer queue folder but there is nothing in the folder.

Thanks again for any help.

Robert

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:10 PM

Other than trying one of the other NT EMF print processors I am pretty much out of ideas, sorry.

Edit: Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer driver? When you delete the printer, do one more step. Click on the Microsoft XPS printer and in the menu bar select Print Server Properties. Under the driver tab remove any HP laser drivers. Then reinstall the printer.

You can get the universal print driver here.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=14914&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4063

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 April 2015 - 02:16 PM.

#12 Friarbarb

Friarbarb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:07 PM

Ok, deleted the Printer and removed the driver for the XPS.

Reinstalled printer and driver.

As soon as I did, the printer, again, had the Go light solid green and the ready light flashing.

Is there some way to reset the memory on the printer itself?

Thanks for the help.

Robert

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:20 PM

The cold reset is supposed to clear Nvram.  I am not sure what the issue is. Did you try a different print processor?

http://www.printertechs.com/printer-troubleshooting/339-nvram-initialization-hp-laserjets

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,628 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:48 PM

In John's cold reset recommendation it does state " A cold reset changes most system parameters in NVRAM to the factory defaults"

On deleting the printer, are you deleting or uninstalling?

Do you have the disc for the printer?

This has worked for me many times in situations you mentioned and all of those attempted fixes didn't solve the problem.

--- That said though I cannot write the exact procedures but I believe you are capable of figuring out what to do depending on which approach to go by 

Uninstall the printer: if you have the disc, use it to do so

Shut down

Disconnect the printers power cord and USB connector

Start the computer back up

Insert the install disc and follow the instructions

Usually it will install the drivers, let you know when to connect the power and when to connect to the USB port  and continue from there

If you don't have the disc, uninstall the printer

--- I don't recall whether or not the drivers were uninstalled at the same time but maybe someone else can cover that

Disconnect the printers power cord and USB connector

It's been a long time I've done it this way but go into Add a printer and select the printer in the list that shows up and proceed from there

If the list doesn't include your make/model you can acquire the drivers from HP's website and proceed from there

#15 Friarbarb

Friarbarb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:53 PM

There is not an option in the Control Panel to uninstall the printer, so I just delete it from the Devices and Printers window.

I don't have a disk for this printer, but any time I've installed this printer I just plug it into a USB port and let Windows use the Plug n' Play to install the drivers.

I've tried using another USB port, but with no luck.

Maybe it's just time to go buy another laserjet.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Robert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users