Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disposing of a Printer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:05 AM

I have an old multi-function printer that I'm ready to toss out. Before I do so, do I need to erase any kind of memory it has or do anything special?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,967 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:16 AM

Only if it has a hard drive or some other kind of memory device. If it does not not have one of those, simply reset the printer. What is the make and model of the printer?

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:24 AM

Before tossing it in the trash, check with your city and county to see if they have Ecycle. Some places have it set up for once or twice a year while others have a place you can drop it off during normal business hours.

#4 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 914 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:33 AM

It's a Brother MFC-8500 about 13 years old. I live in NYC and my building super says he can follow the proper procedure for disposing of it.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,967 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:11 AM

According to your service manual (page 1-2) the specs do no list a hard drive, only 8MB of memory. I would do a reset on the printer if it has that function.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users