Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing graphics card - looked everywhere already

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 customsbroker

customsbroker

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:40 AM

Good day,

First let me say I have been Googleing to find a solution to my issue for 2 hours and have officially lost my patience - hence why I am bother you fine souls. 

I took the Sapphire HD 6770 graphics card out of another PC and transplanted it into a different PC. I know all functions of the card were working at the time of the operation. 

The PC is a Compaq CQ5320F running Windows 7 64bit.

The process:for you to pin point where I might have went wrong.

- turned the PC off

- installed the card into the PCI slot and connected it to power

- Plugged DVI cable from the card into monitor #2, Monitor #1 was still plugged in via the onboard VGA

- turned on the PC but was met with a black screens on monitor 1 & 2

- turned off the PC

- unplugged the power from the card and turned back on the PC

- booted up as normal using monitor 1 and the onboard VGA.

- installed the drivers for the new card via the company website.

- turned off the PC

- reconnected the power to the card and unplugged the cable from the onboard VGA

- restarted, black screens once again.

- turned off the PC

- disconnected the power to the card and reconnected the onboard VGA to monitor 1

- turned on the PC and entered the bios set up.

- PCI was already the default as the main display

- turned off the PC

- plugged the power back into the card, disconnected the onboard VGA so it should have no choice but to use the DVI to monitor #2 connected to the card

- black screens again...

- turned off the PC, disconnected the power of the card, plugged back in the VGA to the onboard and monitor 1 started working again which is how I'm writing this post. 

Where did I go wrong?

It's my first time doing this, I can usually troubleshoot software issues, but I have never installed new hardware. 

I'm this close I-----I to paying someone to fit it for me. 

Thanks

Edited by customsbroker, 06 April 2015 - 08:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:47 AM

Turn off the on board graphics the card should work, looks lie you added the card to run two monitors.  I don't think it will work the way you are trying.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 customsbroker

customsbroker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:11 AM

Turn off the on board graphics the card should work, looks lie you added the card to run two monitors.  I don't think it will work the way you are trying.

I only kept the onboard VGA connected to monitor 1 until the card worked then monitor 1 would be disconnected from the onboard and connected to the graphics card with monitor 2 to run proper duals

How do I disconnect the onboard? where do I do this? I thought that was the bios setting where I already selected PCI as the primary source. 

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:16 AM

Hi,

According to the System Requirements for the graphic card here did you connect the additional PCI Express power connector to the card?

Those Compaq machines usually have very low end Power Supplies is it running with the original PS?

The graphic card needs a 450 Watt Power Supply.

How do I disconnect the onboard? where do I do this? I thought that was the bios setting where I already selected PCI as the primary source.

Usually when you connect another graphic card the on-board is disabled automatically.

Edit: According to the HP website the original Power Supply is only 250W!

Edited by SleepyDude, 06 April 2015 - 09:19 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 customsbroker

customsbroker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:22 AM

The graphic card needs a 450 Watt Power Supply.

Edit: According to the HP website the original Power Supply is only 250W!

I just saw this... I didn't even think to check the power requirements... that would explain it.... damn. 

Thanks people. I'm off to try something else. At this point I have been trying to run duals on this PC for a month trying 3 different options. I'm just going to throw this PC off the roof and buy a new one.

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:18 AM

A dual monitor display needn't be a high end card...you can get one on Ebay for around $30.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:50 PM

If the power supply in that PC is a standard ATX type (I haven't been able to find out from a quick Google search) it should be fairly straightforward to change it for a suitable one.  But agreed virtually any reasonably modern low end gfx card will support dual monitors.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users