Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD Going Bad?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ftrog

ftrog

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:15 AM

Good morning,

I am under suspicions that my SSD is going bad. Recently when trying to navigate through windows explorer it would hang and never load the contents of certain directories. Oddly enough it seems I can reboot the computer and sometimes get better performance, it seems like luck of the draw.

Just to be clear I have built this PC that I am using now, assembled in 2010/11 I believe, and consider myself moderately informed when building computers though there is always room for improvement. 

In order to try and diagnose this issue I ran the utility from userbenchmark.com as I couldn't find any other utilities to test my SSD. Overall it seems my PC is performing low and could use an overhaul/replacement but the SSD in particular got a score of 30%. 

ANQ3j2j.png

To view a PDF showing the full results of the test I have placed the file in dropbox here. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/akl0sp7elowp3tk/PC%20Test%20Results%20-%20UserBenchmark.pdf?dl=0

SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB

If I can provide anymore information to assist please ask for it. Also if there are other tools/tests I can run to check the drive life/performance please feel free to let me know. I did check the post about utilities but they all appeared to be for FAT partitioned drives and mine is NTFS.

Thanks!

**EDIT** Noticed the forum markup for this benchmark test.

System Status: 39% - Below average. Overall Score: 37% - Jet ski.
CPU: Intel Core i7 930 - Status 26%, Speed 53.5%.
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB - Status 28%, Speed 68.2%.
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB - Status 32%, Speed 71.9%.
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB - Status 73%, Speed 59.3%.
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB - Status n/a, Speed 30%.
GPU: Nvidia GTX 750 Ti - Status 78%, Speed 31.5%.

Edited by ftrog, 06 April 2015 - 07:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:19 AM

Hello there,

If you suspected that your SSD is dying, we can do a test to see if it is actually bad.

Please download GSmartControl and save it to your Desktop.
  • Extract gsmartcontrol-0.8.7-win32.zip to a folder, double-click on gsmartcontrol.exe
  • A list of hard drives will appear, single-click each disk to see Drive Information and identify your drive
    note: most machines will only have one or two entries, but an easy way to identify your drive is by its size.
  • Double-click on the hard drive to see detailed Device Information
  • Click on the Attributes tab, do you see any red or pink entries like the ones below? Please list the names in your next reply if there are any.
    info_failing.png
  • Click on the Perform Tests tab
  • Select Extended Self-Test and click Execute
    note: this test can take several hours to run
  • Allow the test to complete, the results will be displayed at the bottom
Please post screenshots of three tabs: Perform Tests, Attributes and Self-test Logs in your next reply.

Regards,
Alex

#3 ftrog

ftrog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:51 PM

Good afternoon Alex,

The test took a lot longer than 1hr 50min as it estimated. It was stuck on 90% for quite some time but here are the results you requested. Please let me know what else I can provide!

f9lvhzN.png

8NF6bD3.png

Fj2UWO8.png

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 02:12 PM

Hello there,

Your SSD looks ok, but the read/write speed is quite slow.

Can you try replugging your SSD? If that didn't resolve the problem, update the controller drivers.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Alex

#5 ftrog

ftrog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:10 AM

I replugged the SSD in and no luck. How do I find the newest controller drivers? I updated Samsung Magician, the tool to monitor the SSD that I forgot about, and it says the Firmware is up to date EXT0BB0Q. I am running benchmarks and optimization with the tool now.

#6 ftrog

ftrog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:42 AM

After installing Samsung Magician I ran a Performance Benchmark test, OS Optimization for Maximum Performance, enabled RAPID Mode, performed a Performance Optimization and then ran another Performance Benchmark test. I also turned the system off and back on and ran the Performance Benchmark one more time to verify. It seems the drive is working much better now, but the question is for how long.

2TcUyLp.png

I noticed there was a message stating I should switch from IDE to AHCI on the BIOS settings. There was an article I found stating this will blue screen Window's systems unless you modify the registry so Window's checks drive configuration on bootup and installs necessary drivers. Would you recommend doing the switch and do you feel this article is legit?

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-change-sata-hard-disk-mode-from-ide-to-ahci-raid-in-bios-after-installing-windows/

#7 ftrog

ftrog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:06 AM

On this page,

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html,

the latest firmware listed for Samsung SSD 840 EVO is EXT0BB6Q releasted on Dec '13. 

According to Samsung Magician I have the latest firmware installed, EXT0BB0Q. 

Thoughts?

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:37 AM

If you redo the UserPC Benchmark tests in Safe Mode, is there any difference?

#9 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:08 AM

I know when I bought my first SSD I went online and looked at ways to optimize my speed. I think PC Mag and several other reputable places had some good tips. I don't remember what all I did, but I've never had an issue with mine.

#10 ftrog

ftrog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:48 AM

I ran the User Benchmark again, not in safe mode, and these are the results.

System Status: 41% - Average. Overall Score: 39% - Jet ski.
CPU: Intel Core i7 930 - Status 30%, Speed 55.3%.
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB - Status 54%, Speed 86.3%.
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB - Status 47%, Speed 81.5%.
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB - Status 39%, Speed 48.3%.
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB - Status n/a, Speed 417.6%.
GPU: Nvidia GTX 750 Ti - Status 78%, Speed 31.5%.

It is now stating the SSD is 417.6%. Think it glitched?

#11 ftrog

ftrog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:49 AM

Good morning!

This morning I booted up in safe mode with networking and ran the User Benchmark test again and scored 49.8%. I then opened Samsung Magician and ran the benchmark there and it extremely under-performed compared to yesterday when done. I ran the optimization tool in Samsung Magician and ran the benchmark in there and it was still poor. After that I rebooted to normal mode and ran the User Benchmark and benchmark in Samsung Magician and they were high again. Not sure what to think! Below are the results.

Safe Mode User Benchmark

CPU Bench: 53% (Intel Core i7 930)
HDD Bench: 101.2% (Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB)
SSD Bench: 49.8% (Samsung 840 Evo 500GB)
Build Benchmarks: Desktop - 37%, Gaming - 0%, Workstation - 20%

Normal Mode User Benchmark

CPU Bench: 52.5% (Intel Core i7 930)
SSD Bench: 443.4% (Samsung 840 Evo 500GB)
GPU Bench: 31.5% (Nvidia GTX 750 Ti)
Build Benchmarks: Desktop - 38%, Gaming - 23%, Workstation - 21%

Screenshot of Samsung Magician benchmark comparison. The two low scores were in safe mode and the high was in normal boot mode.
6aHpO8l.png

What are yall's thoughts on this?

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:47 PM

I know when I bought my first SSD I went online and looked at ways to optimize my speed. I think PC Mag and several other reputable places had some good tips. I don't remember what all I did, but I've never had an issue with mine.

Very important to set the system up for the SSD, there are several tutorials more than worth the effort digging them up.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#13 SpeedyK

SpeedyK

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:22 PM

I think the SATA ports on your Motherboard are the problem. Nearly All of the 39 user benchmarks for your motherboard have under performing SSDs. Also RAPID mode doesn't make the SSD any faster it just places a layer of RAM between the SSD and the OS. I would leave RAPID mode switched off so that your OS can decide how best to use the available RAM.

Edited by SpeedyK, 08 April 2015 - 08:27 PM.

#14 ftrog

ftrog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:06 AM

I will look into articles offering optimization suggestions and how to best setup the system for an SSD.

@SpeedyK, I ran a benchmark with RAPID mode and without RAPID mode, below are the results.

RXYt9H9.png

The poor performance is without RAPID mode and high performance with RAPID mode. Still think it isn't good to have on?

#15 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:05 AM

Have you used Samsung's performance restoration tool? See here http://techreport.com/review/27212/samsung-840-evo-update-fixes-slow-reads-with-old-data 

A link to the tool is at the bottom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users