Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error BIOS 0303 and 0305 but hard drive is fine

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tijmen

Tijmen

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:47 AM

I'm using a HP pavilion DV7-3120ed laptop running fully updated and genuine x64 Windows 7.

Last time I used it, it worked like a charm. When I tried to turn on the computer the next day, it said "Starting windows" but didn't show the logo splash and then went to startup repair but never made it past 'attempting repair'. I am able to access the BIOS, and the diagnostic log shows error codes 0303 and 0305.

Google told me these codes mean the hard drive needs to be replaced. However, when I booted Ubuntu from a usb stick, I was able to access the hard drive and the files on the computer. Therefore, the hard drive is working.

I tried booting in Safe Mode, which results in an on-screen list of processes being started. It gets up to Amdide.sys, hangs for a while and shuts down, only to reboot and start the whole process again.

I suspect there may be a registry error, but wouldn't know where to start looking for one. ClamTK (open source antivirus/antimalware app for ubuntu) didn't find any infections or corrupt files. a

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't locate any logs or I'd have posted them, and obviously taking screen caps isn't an option when Windows doesn't boot. I will try to answer any questions to the best of my abilities.

UPDATE: just tried booting to safe mode with command prompt, the screen paused at Amdide.sys again, went back to the windows splash (but still didn't show the logo, just the "copyright Microsoft"  line and the green loading bar. then it went to the blue background which ususally shows behind startup repair, but didn't actually open startup repair. It's just the blue background with a cursor. Tried every key combination in the book (alt+f4, ctrl+alt+del, all the f-buttons) but no joy.

edit: corrected laptop model

edit: added update

Edited by Tijmen, 06 April 2015 - 06:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:08 AM

I'm using a HP pavilion DV7-3120ed laptop running fully updated and genuine x64 Windows 7.

Last time I used it, it worked like a charm. When I tried to turn on the computer the next day, it said "Starting windows" but didn't show the logo splash and then went to startup repair but never made it past 'attempting repair'. I am able to access the BIOS, and the diagnostic log shows error codes 0303 and 0305.

Google told me these codes mean the hard drive needs to be replaced. However, when I booted Ubuntu from a usb stick, I was able to access the hard drive and the files on the computer. Therefore, the hard drive is working.

I tried booting in Safe Mode, which results in an on-screen list of processes being started. It gets up to Amdide.sys, hangs for a while and shuts down, only to reboot and start the whole process again.

I suspect there may be a registry error, but wouldn't know where to start looking for one. ClamTK (open source antivirus/antimalware app for ubuntu) didn't find any infections or corrupt files. a

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't locate any logs or I'd have posted them, and obviously taking screen caps isn't an option when Windows doesn't boot. I will try to answer any questions to the best of my abilities.

edit: corrected laptop model

Tijmen,

I am suspecting that you may have a bad Master Boot Record on that hard drive.

You may have to reformat the hard drive and put in a fresh new installation of Windows 7.

Keep in mind that if you do reformat the hard drive, you will lost ALL data on the hard drive.

#3 Tijmen

Tijmen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:10 AM

Hi Serpius,

Many thanks for your response.

I was afraid it'd come to a fresh install, however I'd much prefer not to loose all my data, as I don't have a proper backup (stupid, I know).

Is there any fix or procedure which could possibly help?

#4 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:29 AM

Hi Serpius,

Many thanks for your response.

I was afraid it'd come to a fresh install, however I'd much prefer not to loose all my data, as I don't have a proper backup (stupid, I know).

Is there any fix or procedure which could possibly help?

Tijmen,

You can try one method, no guaranty that it will work.

You MUST have the Windows 7 64-bit installation disk.

You will run the Bootrec.exe tool. first start the Windows Repair:

• Put the Windows Windows 7 install media in the DVD drive, and then start the computer.
  • Press a key when you are prompted.
  • Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard, or an input method, and then click Next.
  • Click Repair your computer.

#5 Tijmen

Tijmen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:51 AM

Serpius,

Thanks for your response.

I don't have a Win7 disk (it came pre-installed) so I'll have to see if I can get one somewhere.

I'll update!

#6 Tijmen

Tijmen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:18 AM

So, apparently I can't use the usb-mounted ubuntu to access the hdd anymore either. Both windows and ubuntu now indicate there's something wrong with the hard drive.

I'm hoping there's still something I can do, but i'm starting to feel I'm going to have to replace the hdd, which will probably mean replacing the entire laptop (the thing is 5-6 years old, I'm not going to buy a new hdd for a machine that old).

Thanks for your help anyway!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:47 AM

Per the HP Support Forum...that code 303 means that the hard drive is toast.

If warranty provisions apply, I suggest you contact HP.

Louis

#8 Tijmen

Tijmen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:46 PM

Tried to repair the MBR through bootrec.exe after I finally managed to get command prompt running. Although that seemed to work, /bootfix resulted in another I/O error. Checked the hard drive and cable, and it would seem the hard drive has died after all.

Although I don't really understand why I was able to access the HDD via ubuntu on usb, but after the first time I haven't been able to replicate this. Therefore this must have been a lucky streak, after which the HDD finally died forever.

As the warranty has long expired, and the laptop is too old to feasibly invest in a new hard drive, I'm going to replace it. Many thanks to all who helped!

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:21 PM

:thumbsup2: , hard drives are cheap and have great capacities these days.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users