Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM issues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sithlord1313

sithlord1313

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:37 AM

First time posting a problem of mine in a forum so please forgive me if I am missing some crucial information. I have an asus p8z68-v motherboard. I have an intel i7 in it with a geforce external graphics card. I have 16gb of ram (4*4 sticks bought in one box). This computer has been running without problems for a few years now. I decided today to open it up today and neaten up some of the cables and removed excess dust. I reinstalled windows onto my solid state drive. Now here is where the problem comes in. Both the BIOS and windows say that there is only 8gb of ram installed. But when i go into the asus utilities in the bios it shows all 4 sticks. Now i have removed all the sticks tried different combinations of all 4 and only 2 to see if there was bad RAM without any luck. I have tried reducing the ram speed without any success. This is very frustrating I have tried looking through various sites and have been unable to find a soloution. Now I do have windows 7 proffesional 64 bit. I have had the computer run with all 16gb without problems but for whatever reason I cannot figure out what I have messed up by accident to cause this problem. Thanks for all who take the time to read and reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:49 AM

Welcome,

Did you install an x32 or an x64 version of the operating system?

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 sithlord1313

sithlord1313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:56 AM

The 64 bit os

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 02:06 PM

Did you remove the RAM before or after you started blowing things clean?

Also, have you checked the slots to be sure that there's nothing foreign in them? And that all of the RAM is fully and correctly seated?

Other than the RAM problem is everything else running / operating correctly?

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 sithlord1313

sithlord1313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:30 PM

Yes I have remove and confermed the ram is seated properly. I have also tried different combinations and different pairs to see if there were faults in the ram themsleves. I have tried using only 2 sticks in both pair slots, then the same with the other two. All four RAM slots work and all Ram sticks work. The asus utilities show the stats for all 4 sticks yet only show 8gb useable. Windows only syas that there is 8 gb it doesn't say 16gb(8GB useable)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:13 PM

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#7 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:33 PM

Hello sithlord1313:

Just after you follow hamluis' recommendation for the standing requirement for this sub-forum, please report if you are overclocking, and whether or not you are or are not, please tell us what the present clocking speed is set to for the unspecified i7.

Then, please report the make/model of your memory sticks just in case that doesn't make it through to your Speccy report. Please determine these things independent of your Speccy report just to be certain. Please remember - the devil is in the details. :)

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW, 06 April 2015 - 06:36 PM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#8 sithlord1313

sithlord1313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:43 AM

Here is the report of my computer http://speccy.piriform.com/results/dlpxFqQ7HXjIn58Uc8D4zei

The Ram is Corsair Vengence

Manufacturer Corsair

Max Bandwidth PC3-10700H (667 MHz)
Part Number CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9

At this time the cpu is not overclocked, however the plan is to overclock it to atleast 4 GHZ, seeing as it is a liquid cooled system. If you need more information please let me know. 
I have also attached a copy of system properties screen shot. I know  it shows know where near as much information as the speccy but just wanted to add as much information as possible. 

Attached Files

#9 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:35 AM

Hello sithlord1313:

It is interesting to note that Speccy reports the computer's RAM as 16.0GB.

If you do not already have Memtest86+ v5.01 on a bootable media, it might be of further interest to see what it reports. http://www.memtest86.org/.

The total physical RAM that Memtest86+ "sizes" is in the sixth line down on the left hand side.

It may also be instructive to report what the Windows 7 Task Manager shows: Ctrl-Shift-Esc > Performance tab > Physical Memory (MB) pane > Total.

Cheers :)

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users