Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Genuine Advantage Update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 10:05 AM

Just read this on Broadband Reports forum and thought I'd share this info, as many have issues with the Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage & Notification software installations now being forced upon Windows OS users during regular security updates/patches:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16402494~start=0#end

I was wondering how long a class action suit would take. You'd think MS would have learned something from the Sony Rootkit mess.
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 10:31 PM

About time. I wonder how much time and bandwidth are wasted on things the user neither needs nor wants. I wonder how much anti-piracy protection will be enough. And I wonder how long before the government plants chips in our brains to monitor us for our own good? If that seems like a stretch, think about all the video cameras on every street in London.

On another forum, I have this quote from Ayn Rand in my profile:

"Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris.
"We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's
not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power
and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only
power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One
declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible
for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of
law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just
pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted and you create a nation of law-breakers
and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system,
Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be
much easier to deal with." (Atlas Shrugged 1957)

#3 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 11:45 PM

About time. I wonder how much time and bandwidth are wasted on things the user neither needs nor wants. I wonder how much anti-piracy protection will be enough. And I wonder how long before the government plants chips in our brains to monitor us for our own good? If that seems like a stretch, think about all the video cameras on every street in London.

On another forum, I have this quote from Ayn Rand in my profile:

"Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris.
"We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's
not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power
and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only
power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One
declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible
for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of
law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just
pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted and you create a nation of law-breakers
and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system,
Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be
much easier to deal with." (Atlas Shrugged 1957)

Whoa...that quote is dead on!!!!! Definitely accurate for the U.S.A.

BTW - Washington D.C. has cameras all over the city as well...I guess nations of the world want to protect their capitol city...but I think that may be going too far.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 11:07 AM

I'm not advocating piracy. But I'm certainly against the current climate of "the customer is second to profit." Microsoft built up their business by giving the customers what they want, and now they have decided to give them what Microsoft wants.

#5 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2006 - 05:25 PM

I'm not against catching piracy either. I have the tools installed on my pc thanks to autoupdates But if I lose a hard drive and have to replace it one day and the SN on the new drive no longer matches their database info, the tool is going to say it's an illegal Windows install, I'll bet. MS better come up with a way to address that scenario. Shouldn't have to buy a new set of Windows just because you lose a hard drive.
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2006 - 10:38 PM

Actually not - you have to install more than one of the components that Microsoft uses to compare MAC addresses in your computer within 90 days to prompt for reactivation, and then if your story matches what you tell the Microsoft activation desk they give you a code to enter to reactivate your installation.

As far as the MS Genuine Advantage update - I do not blame Microsoft at all for it. In addition to stealing the program, those it will affect are those who not only stole the program but are continuing to steal support in the way of updates from Microsoft and this will make that theft significantly more difficult.

This update, even if you had your updates set to automatically download and install did not automatically install but rather was completely disclosed in a eula that accompanied the download allowing those who didn't want it installed to opt out. Of course, those who opted out would then no longer be able to continue to get support in the way of updates from Microsoft. This is no different than any manufacturer requiring proof of purchase or authenticity before providing additional service and it is completely justified and proper.

Those with a legitimate installation of Windows will not be denied anything to which they are entitled and in the worst case scenario that could happen is that a very few legitimate users may be inconvenienced by having to reauthenticate. The vast majority will see no effect at all.

I see nothing wrong with Microsoft stopping continuing theft of their software and services.

Edited by Enthusiast, 09 July 2006 - 10:53 PM.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:37 AM

I've download the Windows Genuine Activation "critical update" several times. Is this normal? I thought most updates disappeared from the list when you get them. It's annoying having companies see customers not as something to sell to but potential theifs instead. With tech like Windows Genuine Advantage, StarForce Copy Protection (YIKES!!!), and the defunct Sony Rootkit I'm starting to feel like a criminal...and I haven't done anything wrong.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users