Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A question about SH IP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dyson26

Dyson26

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:54 PM

The following is a question from a study guide from my class and it's a bit of a new one to me, so I can use some help figuring it out because I'm not having much luck.

If you see these letters on a sh ip route (c,s) what are they
and what are their weights? Which one will a router prefer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:36 AM

"C" means that the route was learned as it refers to a directly Connected subnet (i.e. those IP addresses are assigned t a network interface on the router itself.

"S" means that the route is a Static route (i.e. an administrator has added a command to the router configuration to hard code that route.)

In Cisco devices, by default, Connected routes have an administrative distance of 0, and Static routes have an administrative distance of 1.

Other things being equal, delivering a packet itself (the route metric - the cost of using this route = the route's administrative distance =0), would be more preferable to  passing the packet to another router via a static route (the route metric = the static route's administrative distance = 1, as then the other router needs to perform further operations to deliver the packet).

x64

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:10 AM

This is something that if you had googled show ip route codes you would have been able to get the answer yourself.  Something to know for next time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users