Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen: Cannot Complete Startup Repair

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sweetjayne

sweetjayne

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:29 PM

Problem:  Windows cannot complete startup following a freeze-up which required a manual restart. 

Once computer powers on, it goes straight to an error screen which allows two options: start windows normally, and complete system repair (recommended).    Neither option gets me anywhere.

When I select System Repair, I get a "loading files" bar along the bottom, which completes.  Then, a little green bar flashes for a second, and then the screen goes black.  I wait a few minutes (it doesn't sound like anything is happening) and then I restart the computer.

When I select a normal start it says : Loading windows, I get the windows logo, and then it freezes there.  I then restart.

And so on...

I do not have a System Repair disk for this computer. (Because I am an idiot.)

F8 does not fo anything at startup.

Edited by sweetjayne, 05 April 2015 - 07:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:31 PM

If can get access to another Windows 7 computer, you will be able to create a System Repair Disk that will work on your computer.

What is the make and model of the computer? Tapping F8 at boot does not get you to the Advanced Repair Options Screen? On a HP tapping Esc at boot will get you to a diagnostic menu where you can check to see if the hard drive is failing. On a Dell it would be F12.

#3 sweetjayne

sweetjayne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:34 PM

I am running a Dell XPS.  Neither f12 or f8 gets me to any other menus.

I am trying to boot from an old system reapir disk from my other computer (a Dell laptop) ... it doesn't seem to be working.

When the computer first comes on, I get the Dell Logo.  I can tap away at function keys, but it still goes to the same Windows Error Recovery screen with the two options (repair and start normal).

Edited by sweetjayne, 05 April 2015 - 09:18 PM.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:50 PM

Can you enter the Bios ?....what shows on boot screen as to any Option Functions.

Try Delete Button at Boot ? ....Esc Key at boot  ?

If you can enter Bios , select Boot Options , set to boot from Cd , and save and exit.

Load Repair Disc and Boot...press any key to continue.

Provided the System is not to Corrupted , F8 should work to get to Safemode , continually tapping after bios screen.

#5 sweetjayne

sweetjayne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:58 PM

So, umm, are you saying that if I cannot get into BIOS then I'm S.O.L.?

Nothing gives me any options at bootup.  The normal F12 and F8 are as good as useless.  I seem to be stuck in a loop from which I cannot escape.

On bootup, no matter what I press, I go to the System Error Recovery screen, with the two options.

Edited by sweetjayne, 05 April 2015 - 09:00 PM.

#6 sweetjayne

sweetjayne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:18 PM

Had a slight change in the loop.

When the Dell logo displays, if I hit the Esc key I get a blue bar, which fills.  When the bar is up, it says press F12.  However, when I press f12 (or tap repeatedly, I have tried both) nothing happens.  Same loop.

#7 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:39 PM

Dell XPS ? can you give some more info ?

Is this a laptop Dell XPS 13 ? Model No ?

Also have you recently backed up any personal files data etc.

FROM DELL:

Instructions

Start or restart your computer and wait for the Dell splash screen to appear.

Tap the DEL key a few times to ensure that the computer receives the command to enter the BIOS.

•  

Check what settings you need to inside the BIOS screen and then press the ESC key to exit the BIOS.

Edited by Havachat, 05 April 2015 - 09:48 PM.

#8 sweetjayne

sweetjayne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 10:03 PM

Desktop.  Dell XPS 8500. i7 3770 3.4ghz, 12gb RAM, Raedeon 7770

I'm not sure how long it has been since I've backed up things on that computer.  (Lets say not recently.)

Edit:  I'll give those instructions a try.

Edited by sweetjayne, 05 April 2015 - 10:06 PM.

#9 sweetjayne

sweetjayne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 10:22 PM

Nope.  No luck.  For my computer, to get to the BIOS screen, I should press F2.  I hit delte, get the blue line, tap (or, alternatively, hold) the F2 key, but it never goes to BIOS.  Just to the same screen.

OK!  I plugged in a wired keyboard, tried this again, and I got to the BIOS menu.

Edit:  Looks like I have a hardrive problem.  I ran a diagnostics test in BIOS and my hard disk failed. :*(

Edited by sweetjayne, 05 April 2015 - 11:07 PM.

#10 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:28 PM

Busy here got visitors , will check out the specs and get back as soon as possible.

Unless someone else jumps in and assists you to a cure.

#11 sweetjayne

sweetjayne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:31 PM

I would appreciate that, thanks.

#12 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:46 AM

Access to bios works good.

Option 1 / You could try and remove the hard drive and then replace it and see if it boots ?

Option 2/ Or can you try with that keyboard and enter Safemode . ...works or Not ?

Option 3/ If you can get safe mode with Command Prompt then you may be able to run chkdsk and repair it.

Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt.” The computer will continue booting and you will see a list of drivers being loaded. After they finish loading you will be presented with a command prompt.

Run chkdsk. Type “chkdsk” and press enter to run a check on the current drive without fixing any errors.

• To run chkdsk and fix errors, type “chkdsk c:/f” Replace “c” with the drive letter you would like to fix.
  • To run chkdsk and fix errors, locate sectors and retrieve data, type “chkdsk c:/r” Replace “c” with the drive letter you would like to fix.
  • You may be prompted to restart if the drive is in use. If prompted, press Y to accept.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:02 AM

I suggest that you NOT run chkdsk /r on a drive where a diagnostic has confirmed that the status of the drive is poor/bad.

Chkdsk /r will not cure any problems revealed when running the hard drive diagnostic, it's of value only on hard drives where there are file or file system problems that are not the result of hard drive functionality issues.

A hard drive failing the Dell Diagnostic...needs replacement, IMO.

FWIW:  http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN289423/EN .

Louis

#14 sweetjayne

sweetjayne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:02 AM

Thanks, folks.  Looks like I'm buying a new harddrive, or seeing if the one I have can be repaired -- can they generally be repaired?  (Also, what are the chances that I can pull necessary information off of that harddisk?)

No luck with starting in Safe Mode. 

Also, when booting from Disk, I get the blue background screen with the little MS bird and quiggles, but not the box with the options.   That is a no-go too.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:49 AM

Post the applicable code received when running the hard drive diagnostic, please.  Then we can see what Dell has to say about the error.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users